PDA

View Full Version : 5 Discus

Decapper
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 11:54 PM
the nodules sound like white spot, that together with hole in the head isn't too big a deal, the dehydrated (i assume you mean thin looking) discus could be a problem. hopefully you have these in a QT tank, get your temp up to 30 even 32C will be ok add salt at 1tsp/5L. this will take care of the whitespot.

HITH can be treated under these condtions, add metro at 12.5mg/L 2x a day for 10 days (seems to work better then 25mg in 1 hit likely due to stability issues). you can do a water change every day or other day if you have good filtration just remember to redose the salt with each change.
once they start eating again get them onto a good beefheart mix and the holes will heal in no time. i suggest keeping the temp up for a minimum of 18days.

best of luck mate.

Been reading Andrew Soh book and says to lower the PH to 5.5 I think to deal with HTH. I'm so confused now as he says it's not Flags...

I take it you have had great success with this method so I will change my tactics to your suggestion.

Would it also be better to force feed sone metro as the Red Turq's not looking to good since the move?

Decapper
Sun Jun 26, 2011, 05:28 AM
Quick update... Red Turq Not going to make the night I don't think so. Is facing straight up at the moment. was in a very weakened state and was tipped over by the move and change of water conditions. I also think the red leopard is not far behind him.. I'm sure I can save the heckel and the Albino.

lpiasente
Sun Jun 26, 2011, 09:08 AM
I think hole in the head is the actual holes.... hex the internal problem (flagellets) the salt as illusion suggested will treat the opened wounds and the metro for the internal problems. If the fish are already stressed I wouldn't be force doing anything. Treat them as suggested either Andrews or Illusions way ( your call) turn off all lights and cover the tank.

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 26, 2011, 10:05 AM
Correct the holes are physical damage the organism spironucleus vorens is sensitive to metro. The lower ph makes it hard for spironucleus to breed but it takes time and you need to get it to 5.0 5.5 max. Your call, the metro won't hurt it's will also help combat bacterial fin rot. And you lower the ph with the metro in the water via your water changes. Metro will kill spirocytes. The low ph will stop them from comming back. If you like pm Andrew with some photos and see what he says he's a top bloke.

Decapper
Tue Jun 28, 2011, 08:00 AM
Good news now from the bad. Both Albino and Heckel are in full steam recovery. Both even eating tetra bits which you know they are going good when they do that! Just wish I picked them up earlier as I might have saved the other two