PDA

View Full Version : New Strain?

Chillinfish
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:01 AM
Picked up five of these 2.5 inch young discus from my LFS. I cannot find any information on the strain, and they look unlike any other strain. The base color is burnt orange, with black edgeing on the fins and a green sheen when they are turned a certain way. I will post a few pics of the fish. Anyone know what this is or have a picture of the adult?

Thanks...

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:23 AM
WHITE DIAMONDS

Chillinfish
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hmmm..even with the orange color?

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:50 AM
Yep, been fed on color bits makes the faces go orange. its also what gives it the yellow in the tail and side fins

Chillinfish
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:50 AM
I could see that. Never seen a white daimond so orange before.

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 05:44 AM
LOL yeah that happens will try and snap some pics of my "orange" german blue ram, again this thing seems to just pic the tetra colour out of the food i feed it.

scott bowler
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 10:26 AM
LOL

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 01:04 PM
my A grade german blue ram no camera tricks just point and shoot with my iphone fluro orange from tetra color granueles, he also get fed freeze dried blackworms, sera vipan and like to pick at hikari algae wafers, sorry i dont have a before shot. love the photo of it next to one of EA's neon blue rams, you can see what the tetra colour is doing to the neon blues top fin

Chillinfish
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
Well i suppose i should try and get them to go back to white... maybe try and remove one and keep him on a diet of only brine shrimp rather than bloodworms to see whats going to happen. Its a bit disapointing because i paid money for orange fish, and now im going to end up with white ones. As they grow ill add more pictures.

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 09:34 PM
Brine shrimp are rich in orange enhancing pigments try something like sera vipan, nls spectrum or a good beefheart mix any food that they eat rich in spirolina will enhance the blue over white or orange.

You could just keep feeding orange enhancing foods if you like the color

Chillinfish
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 09:45 PM
ill try that.

Ben75
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 03:53 AM
The first pic looks like a cerulean beauty or mercury i have had this strain before. From what i can make of its history , was some sort of pb version of a bd. They have more dusting than peppering. I have a large male that has the yellow tinge to its tail, but he certainly isn't orange.
Regards, Ben

Chillinfish
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 05:42 AM
That's interesting. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the fish you have? And is this strain rare because I've never seen it before. So far as I've searched there is no picture close to it.

Ben75
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 06:09 AM
Yes i do have some pics on my home computer, will post tonight for you.
I wouldn't say rare, more like unpopular, probably due to the dusting. I sold off a few to a lfs . The tanks i kept them were painted a light blue colour. They hardly showed any dusting. However when the lfs sold them and the new owner place them in his/her planted tank they darkened (not sick) just dusting, but really covered up the fish. Would have sworned they were different fish. Anyway, the male i have is nice and fertile so i am hoping to cross him with one of my albino blue diamonds to clean the dusting if i can. Will post some new and old pics of what i had while in growout stage.
I maybe completly of track with this , but the first pic really reminds me of that strain.
Regards,
Ben

Ben75
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hi Again,
attached are pics of the Cerulean beauty discus as i grew them out
and a pic of the sole fish of this strain i have left.
I did have a fertile pair out of this batch, but mum took a dive
out of the smallest opening in the tank covers and was lost.
Hope this helps to shed some light on your fish.
Regards,
Ben

Chillinfish
Thu Jun 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well this is pretty much my fish. Either mixed with pb or somehow enhanced.