PDA

View Full Version : Protecting fry from getting eaten

tgf
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 02:07 AM
I have a breeding pair of discus in their own separate tank (probably 200L but if that’s too big unfortunately it’s the only available tank I have) to my main tropical tank. They seem to be laying eggs fairly often. Each time they lay eggs the discus place their eggs on the side of the in-tank filter and they generally stay there until they hatch. Say there are 40 or so eggs, about 25 of them get eaten and the ones that hatch live for a few days and then eventually disappear, most likely because they could’ve been eaten. I doubt they’d have been sucked into the filter.

My question is, once the eggs are laid, is there any way to protect them from getting eaten so I might be able to let some of them grow into baby fish and see how things go from there?

Decapper
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 02:38 AM
Its so hard to raise fry without the parents I would not worry about it.. Next time they lay tie some stocking around your intake... Or attach a sponge filter to make sure they dont get sucked up...

tgf
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 05:57 AM
Good idea mate. Thankyou for that!

swampy1972
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Buy one of these and put the sponge over the filter intake.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Rainbow-Bio-sponge-Filters-/140532118831?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item20b85df52f
It adds both mechanical filtration while adding to the biological filtration capacity.

tgf
Sun Jun 19, 2011, 01:32 AM
I currently have a Eheim cannister filter sitting underneath the tank as the main filtration system. I've had it running on this tank before and the breeding pair bred very successfully.

If I buy one of these sponge filters you've given a link to, is it possible to hook it up to the intake on the Eheim?

swampy1972
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 06:12 AM
As stated mate, just slip the foam piece over the existing filter intake pipe. You don't need to use the plastic components. Buying one that has the double foam piece then gives you a spare.