PDA

View Full Version : Black Beard Algae

maxpayne40
Fri Jun 17, 2011, 01:58 AM
How do I get rid of this algae without killing my fish?. I read the article "WARNING a double dose of Excel may kill more than your algae" and am a bit concerned.

I seem to be getting a bit of it lately despite regular water changes. I do fertilize the plants but do not put CO2 in.

Thanks.

Ghoti
Fri Jun 17, 2011, 02:15 AM
I'm ceratainly watching this one with interest!

Whiel I generally have not got a BBA issue, for some reason it seems to have an afinity for the powerhead on the LHS of my tank and an anubias on the right (of a 6 foot tank).

I generally remove the affected leaf (or leaves) and scrpe the powerhead clean, but have found that it returns even after a PP soak overnight, and a week in a closed bucket covered with a blanket stored in the cabinet!

Cheers,
Scott

lpiasente
Fri Jun 17, 2011, 04:58 AM
I read somewhere to add water flow near the plants so I did. the end where the spray bar faces down onto the plants no bb alge the other end the spray bar goes along the top of the water and the plants up that end bb alge. So who knows it could well be right.

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 17, 2011, 05:04 AM
hydrogen peroxide will work 100ml of 3% in 300L should do the trick add it an hour before the lights go out.

might still kill your fish but all i ver lost were some bns and otto's

swampy1972
Fri Jun 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Both good pieces of advice. I only get BBA when the foam prefilter glogs and restricts flow. When I clean the foam the flow returns and the BBA goes.
H2O2 works, but ensure you turn off your filter during the treatment otherwise it will kill the bacteria within the filter. Once the bubbling stops you can turn it back on, or do a 50% WC before turning it on.
You can also dip individual plants rather than treating the whole tank by dipping them into a 1:15 water/bleach mix for 2min. Then take them out and rinse thoroughly. Also a good idea to give them a final rinse in water with a double dose of dechlorinator.

SS317
Fri Jun 17, 2011, 09:35 PM
I've had a lot of planted tanks over the years and why'll excel works well the cost when doing big water changes in a big tank is over the top.
I have found all my tanks with co2 on them never get over run BBA to the point where you would be lucky to find any at all.

JamezMan
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 03:32 AM
Hey, I'm not sure about how you feel about adding fish but I had a bit of a BBA breakout on all my driftwood in my 4 foot tank a few months ago and found that a couple of mature Siamese Algae Eaters (Flying foxes) added to the tank got rid of all of it. I could of just been lucky but it seemed to work for me, good luck.

Luke

Decapper
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 06:58 AM
Hey, I'm not sure about how you feel about adding fish but I had a bit of a BBA breakout on all my driftwood in my 4 foot tank a few months ago and found that a couple of mature Siamese Algae Eaters (Flying foxes) added to the tank got rid of all of it. I could of just been lucky but it seemed to work for me, good luck.

Luke

Great for algae those little suckers, but for discus nothing but a nightmare. Always trying to suck on the side of them. Could not wait to get mine out of the tank. Bloody fast moving too so was unable until drained tank completely

JamezMan
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 08:40 AM
Oh true, I did not know they were no good for discus.

swampy1972
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
Buy Otto's. They're better than SAE and won't hassle your Discus.

Many people keep them in shrimp tanks because they are so placid.

Decapper
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 12:08 PM
Buy Otto's. They're better than SAE and won't hassle your Discus.

Many people keep them in shrimp tanks because they are so placid.Found this and says they suck on discus.

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/otto.htm

swampy1972
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 12:32 PM
I'd be surprised, they are extremely timid. I rarely see mine, but I know it's there because the Algae levels are on the gradual decline.

Max, if you're near Fishchick aquarium at Annerley I'd suggest going to have chat with Jodie. She'll be able to advise you on a number of strategies.

Greggy
Sun Jun 19, 2011, 02:43 PM
True SAE's will not suck on Discus slime nor bother them at all.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/saes.htm

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

However there are some LFS who sell unsuspecting buyers something other than an SAE, such as a false SAE/Flying Fox and it will without doubt end in tears.

Keep at least 2 or 3 SAE's together as they like one another's company. Personally I think they are a MUST for any tank - just keep a close fitting lid or they might jump out!

Cheers!

Greggy

maxpayne40
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 01:08 AM
Great replies. I am not confident enought to employ the chemical attack as suggested and would hate to lose any fish, BN or corys included as they are also my pets now :P

Tried the scraping part but it does not want to budge and the cost of a CO2 system is a bit beyond me atm.

The water flow suggestion sounds good also and I may reposition my flowbar on the exteranl cannister to point down. Thanks.

Greggy, I have consulted with a LFS and he suggested the siamese flying fox also so I bought two of them (very small juveniles at this stage).

It had me worried about the sucking on the discus thing but you seem to have discounted that here. I shall never the less keep an eye on them. Will let you know if it works out.

Cheers

Ghoti
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 02:00 AM
Greggy, I have consulted with a LFS and he suggested the siamese flying fox also so I bought two of them (very small juveniles at this stage).

Just be doubly sure they are SAE's and not Flying Foxes - while they are two different fish LFS usually combine the names.

The true SAEs have small barbels around the mouth and the central black stripe continues through the tail fin.

Cheers,
Scott

maxpayne40
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 03:56 AM
Thanks for that info Ghoti. Just checked them and although they are young you can see the black stripe goes through to the tail fin. The stripe is also in the centre of the body, although the barbels (is that whiskers) are hard to notice at thier age. They swim together (actually chase each other around) and hang around the top to middle. They also seem to be adjusting well and do not bother anyone else in the tank. I have not seen them eat the algae as yet (BBA). Perhaps they are still too small and adjusting to the tank. I take it they do sound like the real deal?.

maxpayne40
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 04:16 AM
Ghoti, I also noticed that the fish I have (hopefully SAE) seem to go vertical at times in the water and seem to like the current. Also they seem to like each others company.

Ghoti
Tue Jun 21, 2011, 09:35 AM
Sounds like you got the right ones!

Cheers,
Scott