PDA

View Full Version : Some General Questions

maxpayne40
Sun Jun 12, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hi All,

I have now had my discus for around two months and not counting an ammonia spike things are doing well.

After buying the test equipment I can now say:

Ammonia: <0.2
Nitrite: 0
PH: 6.2 - 6.4

Water is clean (do 20% change every two days) and age the water (not overnight) using air pumps plus additives to elimate ammonia and heavy metals etc.

Fish are eating well and growing along with the bottom feeders (2 bronze cattys', 1 peppemint catty and 2 bristlenoses). Feed them beef heart (sparingly), brine shrimp, sinking pellets, 'algae' wafers, frozen blood worms and dried blackworms.

I just wanted to know how often I should clean my external canister (1100) and what should I clean in it (no instructions). It is the layered type with bio balls, noodles, sponges, clay packet etc.

Also I have noticed that there is this green 'furry' stuff growing on my plant leaves, it looks different to just plain algae and is like a 'plant' itself. Do I need to be concerned and if so what should I do?.

Read the forums and this is by far the most informative and helpful site around. Not to mention the retailers here whom I have contacted and bought products from......excellent service.

swampy1972
Sun Jun 12, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hi MP,

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new setup. Keep an eye on your ammonia. Ideally it should be 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10-20. Keep an eye on how much you feed, over feeding is very common and one way of keeping your ammonia levels up.

The cleaning frequency of your filter will depend on the size of your tank, filter and bioload. The greater the bioload, the more frequently you'll need to clean. I generally rinse mine every 6mths, but I have a lightly stocked tank. When you clean it, just rinse the trays of media in a buckets of water taken from the tank so as not to kill the bacteria in the media. Rinsing them under the tap/hose will kill the filter and cause the need to re-cycle the tank.

The 'green stuff' sounds like thread algae or similar. Posting a pic will help us I.D it for you. A good way to clear it is to ensure good water flow and get a couple of Ottos. For further 'plant specific' advise, also have a look at www.aquariumlife.com.au

All the best ;)