PDA

View Full Version : Dam Fish

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 06:12 AM
Does anyone know off the top of their head what the legal/licensing requirements are to be able to inject breeding hormones in to dam fish such as Perch etc?

SLS
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 06:18 AM
Totally mis interpreted the tittle of this thread Nigel.. I scream this everyday!!! LOL

DAMM FISH!!!!!!!

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 06:25 AM
LoL George, hows it going mate? We're looking at properties an hour or so north of here, they all have dams and I've got some really stupid ideas lol!

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 06:31 AM
from memory the needed hormones are not legal in australia

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 06:58 AM
Some of the farms in Qld do use it Jothy, the guys that produce all the Jade, Golden and Silver Perch fingerlings. Might have to have a chat with our fish vet.

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 07:04 AM
No worries let us know how you go

SLS
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 07:28 AM
We're well thanks!!

I think the product your after is Ovaprim.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 07:55 AM
Cheers George, does it work on Altum Angels too? :lol:

mscott
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 08:22 AM
Hey guys, as far as i know it is illegal to inject hormones into fish if you are privatly stocking your own dams. If you have the idea of trying to make a market of it then you need to have the buissness up and running before they give you the nessicary licence to obtain the hormones. If you wish to just buy fingerlings of any native fish and throw them in a dam, you also need a licence to do so, also the dam has to be big enough, from memory i think it was 10,000L per 5 native fish. But as there native they should breed like crazy in a well supplied dam without the use of hormones

mistakes r crucial
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 08:34 AM
Isn't it only the Silver Perch that breeds without injection? Jade and Golden won't?

mscott
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
any natives will be able to, otherwise they wouldnt be here in the first place, tests actualy show that you will also get more and stronger fry from naturaly getting the fry. All you gotta do is simulate the conditions they like/need and hey presto you got billions of the buggers.
Take salmon for instance, you start them in say an 8x2, set up with salt warter and a 9000lph power head to create current, then you slowly drain the salt water over a period of 3 days replaceing it from the powerhead end with fresh water, by the time it is 100% fresh water, females should be full of eggs, so at night you turn the powerhead off, make a big change to the substrate of the tank, and in the morning start to feed them crickets and such, after a day or so, eggs will be released into a mound the pair have made. so you then slowly take the pair back to a salt warter setup.(Never been tried to my knowlage, but theoreticaly it should work)