PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Wendy
Wed Jun 08, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hi, just introducing myself, I live in Perth Western Australia and have kept mostly Rainbow fish and Ancistrus up until now. I have just taken delivery of a new 5 x 2 x 2 and plan to get some Discus once its well established. I discovered this forum a few days ago and it is an absolute wealth of information........so im busy plannin tha new tank!!!!! Sooo exciting.... Any way helllllooooo to all!

Decapper
Wed Jun 08, 2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Nice large tank I'm sure your new fish when you get them will love it. If one thing I and everyone else in here can't stress enough, through experience, is qt tank. Saves you money in the long run and also heartache. enjoy your stay as this is a very friendly and helpful forum and one of the best loOking fish

Ghoti
Wed Jun 08, 2011, 10:02 PM
Welcome! A great way to start with a fresh tank.

You will find the folk here most helpful with some real guru's amongst them.

Cheers,
Scott

lpiasente
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:58 AM
Plus this is where you can get some of the best fish from instead of having to get lower grade from a lps

Discus Planetarium
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:41 PM
welcome to the forum

Wendy
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 02:39 AM
Thankyou for the nice welcome, I'm sure to have lots of questions to ask as I go along. Although I must say just reading previous posts is helping heaps and filling my mind with ideas. It will be a planted tank and I know that will be harder to keep clean but I will be vigilant and will make sure the tank is very well established before I add any fish. I've been reading the cycling section and intend to try the amonia method. I managed to find a 25% pure amonia solution yesterday(rest of solution is water). Now I have to plan the deco!!

Wendy
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 06:42 AM
Thought a few pic's of my tanks would be nice to share, these are the currently set up ones. The new tank I will put in another post as for some reason I can't add them here.
cheers
W

Wendy
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 06:47 AM
Here is the new tank....I'm going to start on it this weekend!!

Decapper
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 07:20 AM
Looks good, great for the work area. Although do you think you will get much done with that nice tank sittin there ;)

Mr Wild
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 07:22 AM
Very nice tanks! Good luck with discus they get to know their owner and can follow them around the room. They will have fun in that tank following your every move!

Wendy
Fri Jun 10, 2011, 08:27 AM
I expect my work output to be much reduced once the fish arrive...lol

Oygle2
Sun Jun 26, 2011, 12:02 AM
Hi ya Wendy.
With regards to the blue filter materal in your sump. Where did you get it, what's it's trade name, what size sheets and does it come in different densities.
Whoops, I too love your tanks. The tetra tank has grabbed me for now, well thought out. Am curious though, do you have problems maintaining your water parameters with such small volumes?
Warm Reagards - Mick

Wendy
Sun Jun 26, 2011, 05:06 AM
Hello Mick,
The blue filter stuff comes in a 1.2 x 1.2 sheet, that is easy to cut to fit whatever you need I am told. Its called Matala and is available in green and black as well as the blue. Different colours = different densities. Prices range from $100 per sheet to $150 per sheet depending on the quantity you buy and I think what density you choose. My sump was set up for me by the guys at Aquotix in Perth, I'm a total noob to a sump system like this.

The small tanks are easy, I just aim to keep the stocking levels fairly light and do a weekly 1/3 water change. On the little tanks that is less than a bucket of water so its easy peasy. Having said that though the guppy tank is way overstocked and is still sailing along nicely after a couple of years.....and really I only put 5 in there...the rest was all their idea!