PDA

View Full Version : Discus in a fully planted tank, long post sorry.

Priscacara
Wed May 25, 2011, 03:33 AM
G'day, I'm new to the forums and soon to be discus keeping. I'm nowhere near finished reading all the forums so I apologise if anything is old hat to most.

I'm about to start a fully planted discus tank, 4x2x2 (450L/100G). The setup is :- Filtration Eheim pro II 2028 plus an internal filter later for water movement and added waste removal; lighting is a quad compact tube setup using 4x 10k 55w Catalina tubes; plants will be low to medium light requiring species for the most part; substrate I'm thinking 5cm red eco complete topped with 3cm of red 2-3mm red/brown aquarium gravel; decor fossil wood, rounded river rocks and various wood. Apart from the plants the rest is here or on its way.

Tankmates. I was thinking of 6 to 10 corries, 20 each of 2 types of tetra (red phantom or similar maybe and ?), some sort of algae eater that isnt dangerous to the discus (been reading that BN and plecs can damage discus by attaching to them), the stars of the tank will be 6 10cm plus discus but which I havent made a decision on yet. The LFS has some discus which may look nice but I dont know where they come from, what their conditions were etc. plus the price is the same as I can get A grade from Marlon's website. I havent looked into local breeders as yet.

I plan on taking half of the matrix out of my fluval FX5 on the 6 footer which will almost fill the Eheim so pretty much a matured filter to start off with. I had considered getting all the other fish out of the way first but having read some of the posts I'm wondering if it would be better to get the discus first then the others?

Any input much appreciated.

Cheers!

Pic of the maingano tank showing the substrate I'm wanting to use.
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad114/priscacara/Fishpics/Maingano/maing1.jpg