PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Discus

maxpayne40
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:43 AM
Alright tried my discus on shrimp brine today (frozen) and although they ate some they did not appear to fussed on them. I usually feed them the dried blackworms (comes in cubes and is stringy) and sometimes beef heart (messy) and frozen bloodwoms. They go mad over the dried worms and the frozen blood worms. Will I need to just feed them shrimp for a while to get used to it and then re-introduce other foods?,

Also I read some do not like to feed frozen blood worms to discus?. Are they safe, I read on the packet they are bacteria/parasite free and have added vitamins etc.

Plus I went to a lfs today and he advertised a great discus food combination of beef heart, shrimp, blood worms, carrots etc but unfortunately he did not sell it anymore as he does nto like discus due to have lots of problems with them (gill flukes etc). Does anyone know what this mixture was and where to get it from (appeared commercial). Thanks.

BigDaddyAdo
Sat May 21, 2011, 10:47 PM
I assume you are referring to "Discus Dinner" . It's fine and I use it a few times per week. I mainly feed NLS and Mals Freeze Dried Blackworms. Live blackworms are a treat as are cooked peas and flake.

I personally don't like to feed bloodworms of any description. I only use brine shrimp when feed fry.

ILLUSN
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Adult brine shrimp is nutritionally poor it but it does contain some excellent color enhancing pigments. As with any food you'll need ro feed them a few times with it so they get a taste for it. As said above a balanced neefheart mix is great but messy maybe explore a decent quality dry food to supplement your beefheart. I personally like sera vipan and colorbits but there are several you can use.