PDA

View Full Version : Extreme? Empty 6ft tank?

Decapper
Fri May 20, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hi,

Just getting a bit sick of discus costing me money on meds and was wondering if I would be better to start from scratch again.

Was going to transfer discus to my QT tank and med for gill fluke and worms. In mean time empty my display tank and leave it for 2weeks(kill everything) then start the 6ft again..

1.ll this stop gill fluke with correct QT from now on or will it be transfered from local water in water changes.

2. Will I be better off just leaving everything now fish are settled and just keep water quality high as normal

SLS
Sat May 21, 2011, 01:22 AM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc65/SlipperyLittleSuckers/264640x197.jpg

An option is to Improve the enviroment which will help to prevent disease. :D

Kind regards,
George

ILLUSN
Sat May 21, 2011, 02:58 AM
the problem with gill fluke is the cysts, these are the eggs they are indistructable so if you want to do this then do it propperly

move out all the fish crank the temp up to 32C start smashing the fishless tank with PP or formalin ever 3 days

at 32C the lifecycle of the gill fluke is 3 days keep it up for 9 days in a row and you will be fluke free.

id replace all the substarte, all the filter sponges and even after the heat treatment I'd bleach the biomedia and start again.

once done and your tank is re setup you'll have to re cycle the tank, once your fish are back in DO NOT ADD ANYMORE without a propper 6 week quarentine.

also i'd try and avoid feeding live foods and stay away from frozen worms.

Decapper
Sat May 21, 2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks Illusn, Can I not just throw ammonia in the tank for 9 days and kill everything? And then the tank cycle will also be started when the ammonia is finished. Will that not kill the gill cycle?

ILLUSN
Sat May 21, 2011, 05:11 AM
Ammonia won't kill cysts nothing will you need to make them hatch then kill them . An increase in temp will make the eggs hatch

Decapper
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
Just trying to save money thats all...

What if I leave the tank empty for 10days and increase temp to 32c and also put 5 cups of salt in my 6x2x2