PDA

View Full Version : Aged Water

maxpayne40
Wed May 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
Can anyone tell me what is aged water? and how to age it?.

Thanks

swampy1972
Wed May 18, 2011, 08:46 PM
It's just tap water that's been stored and aerated to off-gas chlorine without the need for dechlorinator for at least 24hrs. This process does not remove Chloramine though so you'll need to check with your local water provider to see what's in your water.

All you need is a food grade plastic barrel (what ever size suits you) and an airstone. If you're keeping it outside you'll need to keep the lid on it to prevent insects etc getting in.

Since people also keep a heater in there to pre-heat the water prior to adding to the tank and some also use a pump to circulate the water to assist in the off-gassing and also pumping from the barrel to the tank..

Hope this clears it up. ;)

Ghoti
Wed May 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
Water that is not straight from the tap, but has been stored, treated and aerated for 24 hours or so (and preferably heated to tank temperature).

I use a 220lt food grade storage barrel I got from fleabay for $20. I fill it, add water treatments then let it "age" for 24 hours. I have a cheap pond pump connected to a DIY spraybar to mix and aerate it and heat it with a fleabay heater.

Cheers,
Scott

Exotic Aquatic
Wed May 18, 2011, 11:53 PM
Gday Scotty!

Nothing wrong with adding treatment, i use safe as well! BUT the point of aging water is to avoid adding stuff... Aged water (aerated more so, or at least faster so) should have little to no chlorine or chloramine as these evaporate over time.

Once upon a time, no one used chems (apart from a little sea salt for body injuries). We all kept our water bubbling away for our next water change.... which sucked for guys like me who at the time had an 8 X 2 X 2.5!

Mostly these days i use temperate water straight out of a hose connected to the bath taps and add safe to the whole tank at home.

Ghoti
Thu May 19, 2011, 02:11 AM
Once upon a time, no one used chems (apart from a little sea salt for body injuries). We all kept our water bubbling away for our next water change.... which sucked for guys like me who at the time had an 8 X 2 X 2.5!

Indeed I remember my father keeping a rainwater tank (illegal in Melbourne during the 70's) for this very purpose!

As suggested by another member, I add G&K Lloyd-Jones supachlor to remove chlorine, chloramine, zinc, copper, lime etc and Aquasonic Tropical Conditioner to add trace elements and boost TDS from 40 to 150. All great Aussie products and great value for money (excsue the plug!!).

Then I let the whole lot circulate for 24 hours to mix, aerate and reach a balmy 29C before adding to my tank (the other reason for the pond pump).

Cheers,
Scott

maxpayne40
Thu May 19, 2011, 03:46 AM
excuse the ignorance but what does aeration do for aging water?. Interesting to know all these things. I usually fill my buckets (15ltr) for water changes from the tap but make sure it is done with a fast flow to make heaps of 'bubbles', will that help?.

TY

swampy1972
Thu May 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
excuse the ignorance but what does aeration do for aging water?. Interesting to know all these things. I usually fill my buckets (15ltr) for water changes from the tap but make sure it is done with a fast flow to make heaps of 'bubbles', will that help?.

TY

The aeration helps the chlorine gas-off out of the water. The more agitation/bubbles the better.

Old Dave
Thu May 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
So when should I be adjusting pH, before or after the dechlor?

Thanks

Old Dave

ILLUSN
Thu May 19, 2011, 11:21 PM
a few simple steps to ageing water
1) fill your drum add a heater and get the temp up
2) add some kind of circulation, pump or air stone it doesn't matter it will help main tain an even temp through out the barrel
3) make any adjustments, Ph etc you want to check these levels are constsnt alot of tempory hardness will be removed just by letting the water stand, adjust the ph then re check the first couple of times before it goes into your tank remember water is dynamic, NOT static
4) some time 2-24 hours before a water change add your dechlorinater (make sure it removes chloroamines). if you add it too early your basicly removeing the disinfectant that stops patogens from breeding in water, if you add it too late all the chloroamine may not be detoxified.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR PEOPLE (LIKE ME) USING POWDERED WATER CONDITIONERS: if using seachem SAFE or any super concentrated powder I'd sugest adding it at 24hours before, excess sodium thiosulfate (main ingedient) is not good for fish, within 24 hours any excess should be broken down.

Old Dave
Fri May 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks heaps, didn't think of the potential pathogen problem.
Should the drum be sun dried & maybe scrubbed occasionally as well?

:thumb :thumb

Old Dave

Exotic Aquatic
Fri May 20, 2011, 12:41 PM
a few simple steps to ageing water
1) fill your drum add a heater and get the temp up
2) add some kind of circulation, pump or air stone it doesn't matter it will help main tain an even temp through out the barrel
3) make any adjustments, Ph etc you want to check these levels are constsnt alot of tempory hardness will be removed just by letting the water stand, adjust the ph then re check the first couple of times before it goes into your tank remember water is dynamic, NOT static
4) some time 2-24 hours before a water change add your dechlorinater (make sure it removes chloroamines). if you add it too early your basicly removeing the disinfectant that stops patogens from breeding in water, if you add it too late all the chloroamine may not be detoxified.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR PEOPLE (LIKE ME) USING POWDERED WATER CONDITIONERS: if using seachem SAFE or any super concentrated powder I'd sugest adding it at 24hours before, excess sodium thiosulfate (main ingedient) is not good for fish, within 24 hours any excess should be broken down.

Awesome, thanks mate... always learning, no matter how long you have kept fish! I love this hobby!