PDA

View Full Version : Additives for tank

maxpayne40
Tue May 17, 2011, 12:22 AM
Been reading a bit lately on the forums, can anyone suggest a store to buy 'prime' (reduces ammonia) or similar product from?. Also are bacteria additives (nitrifying) a gimmick or worth adding to tanks.

Thanks

Ben75
Tue May 17, 2011, 01:28 AM
Hi Max, have a chat to some of the sponsors on here about their pricing on prime and availability. I have used stability with a seeded sponge to start all my tanks seems to do the job.
Regards,
Ben

Decapper
Tue May 17, 2011, 07:05 AM
Ben have you noticed with stability that your nitrate readings are through the roof.

In regards to prime you wont beat pets warehouse

lpiasente
Tue May 17, 2011, 07:59 AM
I now use safe instead of prime. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper

swampy1972
Tue May 17, 2011, 08:30 AM

Agreed..

If you have no luck with the sponsors here try Guppys aquarium products online..

maxpayne40
Tue May 17, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks all will look into safe. Been looking at shops online and one recommends API ammo lock that is supposed to convert ammonia into nitrite as per "Just 5ml of AmmoLock will instantly detoxify 3.0 ppm of amminia, and remove 4.0ppm of chlorine or 2.0ppm of chloramine in 38 litres of water. Ammo Lock does not remove ammonia, it simply converts ammonia to a non-toxic form. Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia even though it is non-toxic.The biological filter will then consume the non-toxic ammonia, converting it to nitrite then nitrate.?

Giummick or has anyone used it successfully?

mawhins
Tue May 17, 2011, 10:18 PM

I was going to switch to safe but thought id need scales. Doesnt need to be that accurate? Can u use a scoop or something? The cost of prime is insane when change water regularly in multiple tanks.

Exotic Aquatic
Tue May 17, 2011, 11:03 PM

I Agree!!!

We will have seachem products next month, and as usual will do our best be among the cheapest in Australia!

Kindest Regards,
EA

ILLUSN
Wed May 18, 2011, 12:09 AM
You don't need scales to use safe. I use it at a double dose which is 1/3 tsp per 220L drum. Also if you leave your water for 24 hours excess prime or safe will be inactive ( seachem say it's only active for 24hrs max). IRS safe at a 5x overdose. ammolock is good but I find it expensive prime/safe has the same effect of locking away ammonia and neutralizing chlorine ml for ml prime is cheeper.

You shouldn't be using any chemical to reduce ammonia in your tank that's the filters job.
Bacterial starters don't do any harm but I'm not sure if they do any good used to use cycle by Hagen I stopped a few years ago and have had no I'll effects.

maxpayne40
Wed May 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
So I used prime/safe to condition the water I use in the 20 - 25% water changes I do?. Can you add it direct to your aquarium (when not doing water changes). I have been using lukewarm tap water with 'ager' (supposed to eliminate chlorine) for changes and add some PH down if needed and plant fertilizer once a week.

I have read here that if doign 20-25% water changes you don't need to use ager as it is only a small amount you are adding back into the tank (chlorine wise from what I read). Any comments and thanks for all the replies.

swampy1972
Wed May 18, 2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks all will look into safe. Been looking at shops online and one recommends API ammo lock that is supposed to convert ammonia into nitrite as per "Just 5ml of AmmoLock will instantly detoxify 3.0 ppm of amminia, and remove 4.0ppm of chlorine or 2.0ppm of chloramine in 38 litres of water. Ammo Lock does not remove ammonia, it simply converts ammonia to a non-toxic form. Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia even though it is non-toxic.The biological filter will then consume the non-toxic ammonia, converting it to nitrite then nitrate.?

Giummick or has anyone used it successfully?

Ammolock DOES NOT convert ammonia to Nitrate. You're right in saying that it converts it in to the non-toxic form of ammonia. I have used it to prevent damage to my livestock in the short term (going to work for the day for example), before doing a large water change when I get home.

I'd be very careful adding untreated water to your tank. It doesn't necessarily need to be aged, but it should be treated with dechlorinator. I've always just done water changes by bucket and simply add the dechlorinator to the bucket prior to filling with water.

Water aged in an aerated drum can be dome added without dechlorinator, but aging only gets rid of chlorine - not chloromine. Safe/Prime will remove both..

swifto
Wed May 18, 2011, 12:09 PM
hi,i pay 64 bucks 4 2ltr of prime hope it's cheaper

mistakes r crucial
Sat May 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
$64 for 2 ltrs, good effort :lol:

swampy1972
Sat May 21, 2011, 10:59 AM
hi,i pay 64 bucks 4 2ltr of prime hope it's cheaper

I'm pretty sure Safe is more economical than Prime, but it would be a good test to calculate how many litres 2ltr of Prime treats compared to 1kg of Safe.. Anyone know?

Either way: http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/additives-chemicals/seachem-additives-medication-chemicals/safe-1kg/prod_1167.html

mistakes r crucial
Sat May 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
2ltrs of Prime will dose 80,000ltrs of water to get rid of chlorine and chloramine at 5ml per 200ltrs of tank water. 1kg of Safe will treat 250,000ltrs of water at 5gms per 1250ltrs to get rid of chloramine, or so they say.

ILLUSN
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
From seachem if used as directed

Prime 5ml = 200L
2L = 80000L

Safe 5g = 1250L
1kg = 250000L
So 1kg of safe goes 3x further then 2L of prime for effectively the same money

ILLUSN
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
Lol 1min behind MAC

Hey Nigel any plans to release a powered version of supachlor?

mistakes r crucial
Sat May 21, 2011, 11:24 PM
Beat you to it Jothy lol. I'll have to ask him mate, I haven't heard anything but he's continually developing new products so maybe. Do they use Formeldahyde in Safe as they do in Prime?

Graham now uses Glut which is a much safer alternative with a few added benefits thrown in.

ILLUSN
Sun May 22, 2011, 04:06 AM
The formaldehyde is added as a stabilizing agent to stop the tiosulphate from breaking down in solution. as safe is a powder it doesn't need it.

mistakes r crucial
Sun May 22, 2011, 06:39 AM
You learn something every day.

Decapper
Mon May 30, 2011, 02:49 AM
From seachem if used as directed

Prime 5ml = 200L
2L = 80000L

Safe 5g = 1250L
1kg = 250000L
So 1kg of safe goes 3x further then 2L of prime for effectively the same money

You would buy Pond Prime before normal prime.. Does 400L per 5ml

ILLUSN
Mon May 30, 2011, 03:44 AM
Pond prime is EXACTLY the same as normal prime. As ponds have a larger surface area there is a larger interface for chlorine to leave the water naturally hence the lower dose. PLEASE READ THE SEACHEM WEB PAGE.

Decapper
Mon May 30, 2011, 04:59 AM
there ya go