PDA

View Full Version : Pond snails

maxpayne40
Fri May 13, 2011, 12:57 AM
As I have mentioned I am still on the bell learning curve and now have the new additions of pond snails. I did not introduce them but they hitched a ride on a plant I purchased (I assume). I looked them up and they are definitely pond snails and have the small clear egg sacks on the glass as well.

I have read a lot of articles (not on this forum) and like so maaaaannnnnyy there are differing opinions e.g. curse of the fish tank or helper of the tank.

So I am asking are the good or evil?, bearing in mind I have a planted tank with 2 bronze catty's, 1 peppermint catty, 2 BN and discus.

I know they breed well but I do not want them destroying my plants. Some say they will eat helathy plants, others say they will only eat decaying plants etc.

Someone also told me that bronze cattys would help eat them?. I read about controlling them with lettuce leaves, buying loaches (although I do not wish to add fish), crushing them in fingers and letting fish eat them?.

Suggestions to my questions?. Thanks again.

ILLUSN
Fri May 13, 2011, 02:39 AM
EVIL
they are a pain, if they are in low numbers remove them manually if in higher number you'll need some of the tiniest loaches you can find, I like dwarf/chain loaches but baby clowns or yoyo's will aslo do the job just be sure to re home them once they get big.

Monolicious
Fri May 13, 2011, 11:32 AM
I have found in the past that salt will kill the pond snails, just be cautious when using with delicate plants.
It could be worse you could have Malaysian trumpet Snails now those things are a pest.
Also as Illusn stated loaches will suck those little suckers right out of their shells.

maxpayne40
Sat May 14, 2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am now treating them as a 'pest' and it seems that manual eradication is working, although you always miss one or two but I am sure daily checks will eliminate them in time. Lucky it was not an infestation that this point. I was treating them like they were 'friends' to the aquarium as some research showed articles suggesting they were good for the tank. As steted a few time, everyone has an opinion and sometimes they are polar opposites.