PDA

View Full Version : KH & GH Readings

Monolicious
Wed May 11, 2011, 05:48 AM
Hi All,

I am looking for some information in relation to KH & GH readings for a Discus Tank.

Currently my KH is around 2 Using a Sera KH Test Kit
not sure what my GH is as i am in the process of getting a test kit.

What are levels I should be looking for as far as KH and GH ?

What products are best for Raising/Lowering KH and GH ?

Regards

Peter

ILLUSN
Wed May 11, 2011, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't worry about it with KH, GH and TDS just try and keep it constant.

to lower your kh you can use hydrochloric acid it will consume CO3 in the water and reduce your KH.

with Gh, like TDS all you can do to lower it is use a RO unit.

Exotic Aquatic
Wed May 11, 2011, 06:56 AM
I agree, consistency is whats important.

I usually recommend people use their own tap water with a little prime or safe, at tank temp, and nothing else.

Discus are hardy and adaptable creatures, they often dont get the credit they deserve as cichlidae.

Wild caught, or even tank bred wild strains are a different story, but farmed (especially asian farmed) strains are VERY hardy and comfortably live in neutral or even 7.5 water. Mine are happily in 7-7.2 and i use nothing but Seachem Safe.

I used to play around with KH, but i find now it has no real practical benefit, and the fish dont seem any different in appearance or behavior either way.

This may of course vary with what comes out of your own tap of course. I would recommend testing the PH of your own tap water and going from there.

Monolicious
Wed May 11, 2011, 07:22 AM
Cheers Guys,

I am running RO so thats why I thought I would ask about the readings.

I am remineralising the RO water with Kent liquid RO right and adding Kent Discus essentials to the RO water then getting it to temp and circulating it for 2 days before doing my WC.

Regards

Peter

ILLUSN
Wed May 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
if you already have ro then aim for a kh of 1-2 degrees and a gh of maybe 4 degrees, you can use epson salts to raise your gh and calcium carbonate to raise your kh

Monolicious
Wed May 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
if you already have ro then aim for a kh of 1-2 degrees and a gh of maybe 4 degrees, you can use epson salts to raise your gh and calcium carbonate to raise your khThanks so much illusn your knowledge is exceptional.

I am just wanting to give my Discus the best possible care.

I even managed to make my own Discus dinner today :-)

AS28
Mon May 23, 2011, 03:57 AM
Hi All,

I am looking for some information in relation to KH & GH readings for a Discus Tank.

Currently my KH is around 2 Using a Sera KH Test Kit
not sure what my GH is as i am in the process of getting a test kit.

What are levels I should be looking for as far as KH and GH ?

What products are best for Raising/Lowering KH and GH ?

Regards
Take a water sample to your friendly pool shop that does free water testing and have them test the Alkilinity and Calcium Harness and ph and phosphates The alkinity will be a numer about 50 to 150. divide this numbere by 17.8 to get KH in degrees and do the same with the Calcium Hardness number that they give you to get the GH degrees. They will say that the phosphates are high because you dont want any ( less then 0.5 in a pool) If the phosphates are over 1.5 do more regular water changes. You may find out how inacurate your ph test is aswell.
Aaron
Peter