PDA

View Full Version : Discus laying eggs!!! HELP!!!

karisdiscus
Tue May 10, 2011, 04:11 AM
Hello everyone I have not been on in a while. I have a tank with 5 discus, 18 cardinal tetras and a few cory cats. Well my 2 fire red discus have started laying eggs on one of the rocks in the tank. I was not ready or prepared to hatch little ones. I have NEVER raised babies before and have no idea what to do. it looks like they are taking their fins and fanning the eggs. Does any one have ideas on what to do?? Should they have a night light? How long till they hatch? is there any chance that the babies can be hatched and raised in a community tank? Sorry for asking so much but i really have no idea what to do and I was never planning on raising babies :)

Mr Wild
Tue May 10, 2011, 01:24 PM
A night light will help them protect them from all your other fish but realistically they will get eaten fairly quickly when they go free swimming as mum and dad just can't be everywhere, so enjoy what you can while you can.

To breed you really need a separate tank. But this will be good practice for the pair and as they protect their eggs a good pair bond will result so it is not all lost.

karisdiscus
Tue May 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Something ate all the eggs over night. :( The pair is still protecting the rock so they might try again. Is there something I can do to make them not want to breed so my other fish can swim in peace again?

Mr Wild
Wed May 11, 2011, 07:41 AM
Something ate all the eggs over night. :( The pair is still protecting the rock so they might try again. Is there something I can do to make them not want to breed so my other fish can swim in peace again?

Well not really it is nature. In time they will settle.

swifto
Wed May 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
hi, give them aweek and u should have eggs again .

Discus Planetarium
Wed May 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
why dont you get another tank and give breeding a go if she wants to lay her eggs she will you cant stop her

BigDaddyAdo
Wed May 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
My pair spawn weekly without fail. I see it as providing a tasty little treat for the Rams and Checerboards. ;)

karisdiscus
Wed May 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
I think maybe after I graduate college this coming sat I might set up a breeding tank. I will have more time then. I'm not sure how much work it really is.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu May 12, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure how much work it really is.

Lots of work. ;) But very rewarding.