PDA

View Full Version : Experience with The Reef Shop

BT Gunner
Fri May 06, 2011, 10:59 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone here have dealt with The Reef Shop in Melbourne.
I bought a Laguna pump and it broke down after a few month so i sent it back in late January.
I still havent got a replacement. Excuse after excuse and now no reply.
Anyone got any similar experience?
Because I'm in Sydney, what are my options to deal with them?

ILLUSN
Fri May 06, 2011, 11:09 AM
Not much really consumer affairs won't help with web sites ( much) I never received an order for some clear PVC tube but never bothered to chase it. all my other orders (9 i think) have come through no problem. If you do get it back your best off to contact Hagen directly Don't waste time with Aussie distributer ( they make laguna) and ask them who to send it to.

Monolicious
Fri May 06, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have dealt with the Reef shop many times and never had any problemes with them or there products. Have you tried to call them directly ?

Sometimes this is better than e-mail.

mistakes r crucial
Sat May 07, 2011, 06:05 AM
What size pump are you chasing BT?

BT Gunner
Mon May 16, 2011, 02:05 PM
Has anyone ever managed to contact TheREEFshop?

I tried ringing them and after 3 ring tones it goes to the voicemail.

It seems they are also ignoring my emails which I have been sending.

Does anyone know if they have a shop in Melbourne?

ILLUSN
Mon May 16, 2011, 09:35 PM
No shop front they are web only if they won't answer your email or phone your out of luck

BT Gunner
Thu May 19, 2011, 12:20 PM
hhmmmm........guys, please dont buy from TheReefSHop. Their after service is awfully S*IT!
I lost $300 buying a laguna pump that broke down after a few months. Suppose to have 3 years warranty.
I guess some business are just too lazy.
They even said happy to give me credit back, even asked me for my address to post to, and telling me it is coming... and after patiently waiting 3 months. NOTHING!

ILLUSN
Thu May 19, 2011, 11:13 PM
sorry to hear that mate, real pity, their pricing is always spot on. But i guess you have to way up the risk.

swifto
Fri May 20, 2011, 02:36 AM
hi,i buy most of my stuff from them and never had a problem.

Greggy
Fri May 20, 2011, 02:27 PM
I've had no problems with them either. I suggest you keep trying to get in touch with them and try to sort it out.

Cheers

Greggy

BT Gunner
Fri May 20, 2011, 09:32 PM
its funny how i got an email reply yesterday from TheReefShop saying they are still waiting for the replacement.

I'm assuming they are aware of this posting because its just so convenience after not replying to my emails for over a month,they replied yesterday.

But then nothing has changed, they have said to me before they are still waiting for the pump months ago. Its been 4 months now.

lpiasente
Fri May 20, 2011, 09:44 PM
Consumer law is That you have the right to a refund on a faulty item. I know this because I have a retail shop and I have to keep up with consumer laws. As far as still waiting for the new pump, sometimes it does take suppliers a loooong time to get stock in, but this does look to be someone being a little lazy. I would reply to the email saying you have waited too long and now you would like a refund as you are entitled to it, unless they can get the new pump to you in the next week or two.

Oonallee
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 01:32 AM
That's really disappointing to hear. I just brought an auto eheim feeder from them and as well as having the best price by a long shot it was at my door within two days. They were great on the email as well...

jarrad
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 07:46 AM
I would not recommend the reef shop. I had a similar experience. I sent back a moonlight I ordered which they agreed to refund me but never did. I sent repeated emails with no response until they finally replied saying that they had not recieved it yet after 2 months. I contacted Asutralia Post and they do not have the parcel but thereefshop is still claiming they are waiting for it (is this an accusation that I never sent it?).

Anyway I will never deal with them again.

HUN
Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:55 PM
Is good that to see this add before buying from this shop!

awilianto
Mon Sep 05, 2011, 12:55 AM
I have no problem with them. Even claim on a Jager heater that dont heat anymore under warranty and they came back to me ok.

I did email them and they do come back to me.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Sep 05, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have never had a problems with them. they are one of my preferred online stores to deal with.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Sep 05, 2011, 12:17 PM
I would not recommend the reef shop. I had a similar experience. I sent back a moonlight I ordered which they agreed to refund me but never did. I sent repeated emails with no response until they finally replied saying that they had not recieved it yet after 2 months. I contacted Asutralia Post and they do not have the parcel but thereefshop is still claiming they are waiting for it (is this an accusation that I never sent it?).

Anyway I will never deal with them again.

More likely AusPost lost the parcel then the guys at Reef Shop are lying about it. Do you have any proof that you sent it?

jarrad
Tue Sep 06, 2011, 02:01 AM
More likely AusPost lost the parcel then the guys at Reef Shop are lying about it. Do you have any proof that you sent it?

This may be true and I admit I'm probably wrong in accusing them like this but it has been their commuication over the last few months that has annoyed me. I'm not saying they are lying because I don't believe they are trying to straight out rip me off I just think they can be a little slack with service. They don't respond to emails and when they did it was just "we are still waiting for it", like perphaps I hadn't sent it. It seemed like they just didn't care.

CPD
Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:36 PM

Anyway I will never deal with them again.\

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I would like to say I had exactly the same experience...

I had trouble getting through to them and was eventually told to send the product back, I did so with registered post and sent a letter with it containing all details. I confirmed with auspost that it was received and then for 3 months heard nothing.. Sadly in the meantime I misplaced the registered post number and like you he is now claiming he never received the product... well that is a few hundred dollars gone..

The business is great in that they send stuff out quickly and are cheap, but there r2+ally is no way to call them, email can be unreliable, and I have found many people having problems like this with warranty.

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 23, 2012, 12:46 PM
correct me if im wrong but i belive they are grey imports. this means they DO NOT get their items from the aussie distributor (like me buying my eheim gear O/S)

As a result there is NO WARENTY on any items.

if anyone knows more please correct me.

its a risk profit / scenario. The price is low and the items are IDENTICAL genuine from the same factory as the stuff you get in the shops. the risk is that every batch there are the odd lemons and if you get stuck with that then you are stuck with it.

CPD
Sat Dec 29, 2012, 02:43 AM
correct me if im wrong but i belive they are grey imports. this means they DO NOT get their items from the aussie distributor (like me buying my eheim gear O/S)

Well for my item that was correct it was grey market imported by him..

As a result there is NO WARENTY on any items.

Very much INCORRECT, he is a retailer IN AUSTRALIA with an ABN, by law (australian consumer law) HE is directly responsible to provide the warranty and is liable.. Though this may explain the lack of working phone number, not signing emails with his real name and only a PO BOX.. But he does have an ABN and all information can be requested from there, consumer affairs will help and an ABN is enough to lodge a VCAT dispute..

Though be very careful to keep ALL documentation as he will deny and avoid his legal obligations (in my experience)..

its a risk profit / scenario. The price is low and the items are IDENTICAL genuine from the same factory as the stuff you get in the shops. the risk is that every batch there are the odd lemons and if you get stuck with that then you are stuck with it.

As long as you make sure to keep all documentation and are prepared to go to consumer affairs and vcat (though cost $30 or so to lodge VCAT complaint) then the risk is all HIS, not the customers..

Personally I would just shop elsewhere though, not worth the risk, places like Age of Aquariums (just as an example) have a real phone number, real staff and store front, very responsive to immediately fix problems and will price match, so why bother risking the headache..

Rossco
Sat Dec 29, 2012, 06:50 AM
I have probably made about 6 orders from the reef shop and 3 times out of the six they have left or forgot to put items in my order and mistaked some item for something else.
I like age of aqauriums and another online seller i use often.