PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Discus spawning cone

enigmatic
Mon Apr 25, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I've got a JBL Discus spawning cone that I'd like to start using again. It's been out of any tank for some time and has some algae on it from the last time it was in the tank.

What is the best way to clean the cone and be sure it is safe to put back into a tank?

The JBL site says "Easy to clean and disinfect" but doesn't give any detail.

Cheers,

Chris

jim from sydney
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hi Chris

I do this often: Clean in normal tap water with a little laundry disinfectant Clean both faces inside and outside of cone. I use a toothbrush (new one and only use for fish maintenance) to get to smaller areas. Rinse very well under tap. I then place the cone in the sun for a few days. This will kill any algea left over. Before use i rinse the cone again in tap water and let it dry. Then ready for use. Good Luck.

ILLUSN
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:44 AM
I just scrub mine with a sponge and some dilute bleach (10%). Leave in the sun to dry and your good to go

enigmatic
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:50 AM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that info. Will give that a try.

Elsewhere I'd found an option of soaking in a high salt solution.

It is more about getting the cone clean(er) than it is. I'm pretty sure the algae should be dead as it hasn't been in water for about 18 months.

Chris

Bob Daniel
Fri Aug 17, 2012, 01:12 AM
I used 4" PVC cut to about 24 cm in length. PVC is easy to clean and won't crack the glasss if the fish knock it over in passion. Sure the ceramic looks cooler...

Nev
Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Lol l'm the odd one out. I just put it in the tank with some bristlenose cats, if its worth removing they'll eat it.

Don't get too hung up on it needing to be sterile and clean. My fish spawn on leaves, rocks, driftwood, side of the aquarium and every now and then on a breeding cone.

Here's a pic l took this evening.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k608/Nevdenton/20120822_210715.jpg