PDA

View Full Version : FS: 5 Discus

fiftycal
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hey guys, long time no see!

Unfortunately, I no longer have any more time to partake in discus anymore. I haven't really had time for a while, but we will be moving soon, which makes me need to sell these now.

Pics will be coming soon, as I'm about to head out.

Up for sale are:
1x Heckel (wild) medium sized
1x RSG (wild) probably small sized
1x Albino blue diamond medium sized
1x Red Turquoise large sized
1x Red spotted leopard medium-large

Sizing is all my own description, and would probably be described as one size larger by stores. I won't even attempt to guess their lengths, since I suck at guessing lengths.

Eye sizes are all quite good. No giantic eyes.
Shapes are all good. The RSG is probably the worst shape (maybe a little long).

They are currently being held in water that is 29C with a pH of 6.5 or near to it.

They are very attentive and friggin ALWAYS hungry!! Currently being fed on frozen "discus dinner". I've fed all my discus on frozen food for a long time, so they have no idea what dry food is.

The RSG appears to be a little skittish right now, and I think he may have flukes, but he/she/it will be treated before sale. Either way it's recommended that they are all quarantined before adding to your own tank.

I will specifically add that I am requesting that I want to only sell to someone who is passionate about discus, and preferably experienced. Wild discus are not the easiest to take care of, and it's hard to tell when albinos are sick since they do not change colour.

I will also include some good quality discus books, to ensure that whoever is buying them has the available knowledge on hand to treat them well. I'll list them probably tomorrow, but they are of highly reputable authors and most are well known publications. They are currently 2nd hand, so are older and not always in the best condition, but the information inside is more often that not top quality and hasn't changed.

For another $50 I'll add a signed copy of The Naked Truth by Andrew Soh (I think it's signed anyway) in very good condition.

So, for 5 discus, some books and whatever random stuff I decide to throw in, I'm asking $400 which works out to be about $80 each. $450 including The Naked Truth.

I am located in Glenhaven, next to Castle Hill, Sydney. I won't ship because 1) I have no idea how to do it and 2) I would rather see the buyer look at the discus in person before they buy them.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
Can you post some pics?

Grahoc
Fri Apr 22, 2011, 01:17 AM
They look interesting ..pm sent

fiftycal
Sat Apr 23, 2011, 05:43 AM
Sorry for the pic quality. Taken using my iphone, and my lights are currently off the tank for maintenance, so they are darker than usual

http://i56.tinypic.com/jkx1xw.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/vne1du.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/21b7tw8.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/rsa6bo.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/n1uvpd.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/esp6ao.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ja1rs.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/8xm2yx.jpg

The albino blue diamond has a nice blue tinge to it.

I really can't guess the sizes of them at all, but the red turq is HUGE. Maybe 16cm long or thereabouts. Discus being discus will not stay still long enough for me to whip out a tape measure. If I had to guess, I would say that the RSG is about 8-10cm, the ABD is 10-12cm, the heckel is about 10-12cm, the leopard is about 12-14cm, the red turq about 14-16cm. I like to underestimate though.

I'd rather not sell The Naked Truth seperately. I'd prefer to sell it with the fish.

SS317
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 12:29 AM
Would you consider splitting the fish up? Id take the 5 but I just don't have the space.

scott bowler
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 02:57 AM
hey fiftycal
how things going , sorry you are getting out of the fish ,drop me a pm let me now how you are doing scott

fiftycal
Sun Apr 24, 2011, 07:46 AM
Sorry guys, I'd rather not seperate them, unless a few interested parties buy them together and split them later. It's just too much brainpower involved to calculate how much each thing would be!

I'll answer questions that people PM here, since I don't have enough time to answer one by one. I pretty much come home, check email, check these forums, then go back out!

I used to feed the fish a home made beefheart/seafood mix, which I found on these forums. For the last yr or so, I have been using the frozen Discus Dinner blister packs, which can be found at any pet shop, and from time to time they get frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp.

fiftycal
Thu Apr 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
Sorry guys, I would rather include the books with the fish

fiftycal
Sat Apr 30, 2011, 03:58 AM
The Red Turq and the Leopard have paired up and laid eggs. Pretty sure the turq is the male.

I think the Heckel and albino BD have paired up too and have started to bully the RSG.

Come on guys, I need these fish moved. I'll throw in the Andrew Soh book in with these fish.

dapostle
Mon May 02, 2011, 01:33 AM
Will you post to WA...very interested...

fiftycal
Mon May 02, 2011, 09:13 AM
Sorry, I have no idea how to post fish, and I would rather the buyer see them so that they know what they are definetly getting.

dapostle
Mon May 02, 2011, 09:19 AM
Ok thanks for the response...best of luck with the sale...

fiftycal
Mon Jun 06, 2011, 10:37 AM
The RSG is now skinny since he has been bullied by the others. He should be able to be rehabilitated by someone with a quarantine tank or with enough discus to spread the bullying. He will need some TLC but should be fine long term.

I need these all gone ASAP. $150 for all 5 but without the books. The heckel alone is worth more than that. I can deliver if the buyer is within 20mins or so.

Ghoti
Mon Jun 06, 2011, 12:22 PM
What an opportunity for Sydneysiders!

If you are considerubg selling the books separately and pont mind posting I would be interested in the Naked Truth.

Cheers,
Scott

jannie_s
Tue Jun 07, 2011, 07:29 AM
pm sent re discus

fiftycal
Wed Jun 08, 2011, 11:04 AM
Had a heap of PMs. Jannie had the first, so I am giving them first option for now. Waiting for the call or sms

fiftycal
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 09:12 AM
Jannie has passed, so it now goes to writemeplz

Decapper
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:05 AM
dam.. seems like you have to be quick ;)

swampy1972
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 10:47 AM

Not really, it was originally posted in April :P

Good luck with the sale.

Decapper
Thu Jun 09, 2011, 12:36 PM

Not really, it was originally posted in April :P

Good luck with the sale.

for the bargin price I was talking about

fiftycal
Sat Jun 11, 2011, 01:30 AM
Actually, you are now at the top of the list decapper.

I'll contact you when I have a chance

fiftycal
Sat Jun 18, 2011, 06:23 AM
Hey guys,

Sorry to say that the RSG has died. It seemed like it would kick on yesterday, but I came back home just then and it was goneski.

Even then, for 4 good quality and healthy discus, it's still a bargain. I paid much more for the ABD alone when it was a fraction of its current size.

Decapper
Fri Jun 24, 2011, 12:22 PM
Mate once I got these guys under some strong light they are worse than I first thought over your house..

The red spotted leopard has hole in the head split fins and some sort of white nodules all over his body which may or may not be white spot I'm not sure & as I showed you at time of sale the gill is damaged due to serve infestation.

The red turq is very dehydrated with also split fins (bit worried about him).

Albino has also the white nodules on him.

The hackel is in the best condition out of the 4 of them.

I'm glad I got all those books off you.

Decapper
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 01:03 PM
I have just noticed that the heckel has hole in the head also..

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
the nodules sound like white spot, that together with hole in the head isn't too big a deal, the dehydrated (i assume you mean thin looking) discus could be a problem. hopefully you have these in a QT tank, get your temp up to 30 even 32C will be ok add salt at 1tsp/5L. this will take care of the whitespot.

HITH can be treated under these condtions, add metro at 12.5mg/L 2x a day for 10 days (seems to work better then 25mg in 1 hit likely due to stability issues). you can do a water change every day or other day if you have good filtration just remember to redose the salt with each change.
once they start eating again get them onto a good beefheart mix and the holes will heal in no time. i suggest keeping the temp up for a minimum of 18days.

best of luck mate.

Arlee
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 11:56 PM
have you sold them or not?
definitely interested
can pick up

Arlee
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
hi,
I am definitely interested
what fish do you still have?
can pick up