PDA

View Full Version : Homemade food

mitsui
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:12 AM
Hi all

I want to start feeding my discus a home made food, I can't get any beef heart, so I am wondering what else can I use that will help with the growth of my fish? That I can make up and freeze as the brine shrimp don't seem to be enough

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Apr 17, 2011, 02:35 AM
i buy beefheart from my local butcher, he gets in it for me- just ask im sure yours will too!

WARING: dont just trim the fat and mince/puree it!!!- you need to FILLET the heart into a big flat sheet first as 60% of the fat is actually inside it!!!

i basically throw away 75% of each heart, but they are cheap so it doesnt matter, and my skinny cat enjoys the scraps!

Turkey hearts are good too, i get these from my poultry shop...same triming method as the beef, only smaller with less fat!

i also use fresh raw shrimp which i shell, but i throw back a few heads into the blender for calcium.

You can add some carrot for beta carotin this vitalises color a little bit ( i dont really notice it) but its good for digestion

peas, just a small handful.

i add a little human grade spirulina from the healthfood store, just a TINY amount though as discus dont really seem to like the taste- but they all start laying eggs if i feed the spirulina enriched version for a few days before an 80% water change!