PDA

View Full Version : vacuuming the substrate

pennex1
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 10:34 PM
What is the rule of thumb regards to stiring and disturbing the gravel while vacuuming the tank of waste?

Is it bad to really stir up the gravel while vacuuming? Am i killing all the needed bacteria?

Changing 15-20 gallons of water daily in my Discus tank and want to make sure i am not killing or removing what establishes the tank.

Sloany
Sat Apr 09, 2011, 11:18 PM
You won't disturb your good bacteria's in your gravel by stirring it up. It is more important to remove all of the waste that is in the gravel. Leaving the waste will in time raise your amonia levels, which may casuse you problems down the track.

HTH

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 01:11 AM
better still, with the water changes your doing (refers to other thread) go BB (bare bottom).

Check out picks here on the forum for details on bare bottom set ups....you can set up potplants, or anubias drift wood, looks great and keeps cleaner!

lpiasente
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 03:48 AM
[quote="Exotic Aquatic"]better still, with the water changes your doing (refers to other thread) go BB (bare bottom).

Check out picks here on the forum for details on bare bottom set ups....you can set up potplants, or anubias drift wood, looks great and keeps cleaner
plus 1
or if you use sand or very fine gravel the poop sits on the top

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 04:11 AM
i use white fine sand myself, but such a thin layer its pretty much BB!!!

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Apr 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
The amount of bacteria in your substrate is insignificant. The cleaner you keep it the better.