PDA

View Full Version : EHIEM PEAT MOSS PELLETS

swifto
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 06:04 AM
Hi all,does anyone know where to buy peat moss from in sydney.Need to lower gh.thanks

Can Hua
Sat Apr 30, 2011, 04:35 PM
hi
may be try to use the Sera blackwater aqutan. it's liquid easy to use. you can get it from onlineshop
Can Hua

AS28
Mon May 23, 2011, 04:16 AM
I have had sucess with sodium bisulphate. Its known as Dry Acid and it will also lower the PH. Alot of the acid buffers have this as a main ingredient. Get it from the pool shop. 2kg for $13. but use it sparingly. It will keep working for about 3 days. So keep checking.

Decapper
Mon May 23, 2011, 11:44 AM
Its at bunnings.. Buy some stockings and make sure you rinse it first

ILLUSN
Mon May 23, 2011, 01:30 PM
Its at bunnings.. Buy some stockings and make sure you rinse it first

make sure its sphagnum peat NOT sedge peat.

sedge pead can do nasty things to your tank (excess salt, massive amounts of nitrate and other componds)

if you want to use peat try and find yourself a bale or packet of TEAM canadian peatmoss, its 100% sphagnum peat

Decapper
Tue May 24, 2011, 08:09 AM
I use killarney Peatmoss with no problem

Hassles
Fri May 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hi all,does anyone know where to buy peat moss from in sydney.Need to lower gh.thanks

If you want to lower your PH and water hardness and can't afford or don't wish to invest in an RO filter (about $300) you can purchase Blackwater Extract, which is expensive, or throw in a few pieces of driftwood (I generally use Eucalyptus) that are still leeching tannis which will achieve similar results. If you wish to reduce water hardness while not adding humic acids to the water (such as driftwood tannis, blackwater extract and peat moss) then you can purchase some filtered water from your local supermarket for about $7 per 10 liters.

The Eheim peat pellets aka Torf Pellets can be found if you look around on-line.

Many garden suppliers sell Peat Moss but make sure it contains no added fertilisers (as many do) or you will experience the algae bloom from hell.

take care

swifto
Fri May 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
hi,i do hav d/wood in my tank just after something different as well

Hassles
Fri May 27, 2011, 12:10 PM
hi,i do hav d/wood in my tank just after something different as well

wood in your tank that is 'still leeching tannis' will continue to affect water chemistry but your water changes will radically alter water chemistry. Blackwater extract or peat moss USED TO CHANGE WATER CHEMISTRY OF THE WATER EXCHANGE WATER (eg prepared before-hand) will assure your in-tank chemistry remains relatively unchanged. The Eheim Torf (German for peat) pellets can be placed into a piece of old stocking (recommended) and placed after the final layer of your canister filter's media. If you really wish to maintain a constant water chemistry then you really need to modify the water you use for water exchanges. Driftwood is gonna take too long and your only viable options are RO filtration, Peat Moss or Blackwater Extract. By your desire to purchase peat I am "assuming" your fish require or will tolerate a blackwater environment. Harrass your local garden supplier and ensure they know what they're talkin' about before you purchase anything. I have some Eheim Torf Pellets but I didn't find them easy to find but....