PDA

View Full Version : Healthy discus hard to find..

Jay_D
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:05 AM
Hi All,

Is it because I'm not looking hard enough or are healthy discus really that hard to find in LFS?? I have been around to many aquariums in melb and the quality is below par at best..it really is upsetting to see the state that some of them are in. But I guess it's a big job to look after all the tanks and fish they have got. So this is my dilemma...

I have a 300lt bare bottom tank cycled and ready for some healthy, vibrant juvies. I would like to get them from a breeder because my theory is that if you breed you care and your knowledge is vast.

Can anyone help??

Jay

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:10 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences!

This is exactly why we came to the marketplace.

We are Melbourne local, and are VERY proud of our stock! (we import it ourselves).

www.exoticaquatic.com.au

happy to answer questions of course! :D

Jay_D
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have been to your site and it's great but I'm more comfortable with hand picking my lil guys.

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:43 AM
No worries Jay_D we can arrange that mate!, just pm me when your ready.

SLS
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 11:14 PM
If your ever in Sydney, drop into to SLS, or check out our online videos of instock varieties and breeding pr's in store.

Lots of juvi Red Turq's, RGD's and Altum babies coming up soon.

Kind regards,
George

mistakes r crucial
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 09:43 AM
If your ever in Sydney, drop into to SLS, or check out our online videos of instock varieties and breeding pr's in store.

Kind regards,
George

Gday George, long time no speak.

SLS
Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hey Nigel,

Agreed, I think we old veterans are getting cobwebs.. lol

Nice to hear from you.

Kind regards,
George

Rossco
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:23 AM
yeah i got fed up buying Discus in melbourne from local dealers. Tired of buying below standard fish.

I am very happy someone here introduced me to Rod Lewis.
SLS is great also they have a good rep. Seems like exotic is great also.

m.ingram
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:36 AM
I have bought from both Rod lewis and Exotic Aquatic and both have great quality fish and are great to deal with .

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:53 AM

Kind regards,
George

Very interested George if you can get Altum babies.

Exotic Aquatic
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:27 AM
ILLUSN i think george is referring to "altum" discus (i guess its like 'giant flora') i saw them on his site, they look nice George! Confusing term though.

If its altum angels your after i have some BIG ones. PM me if thats what you were actually looking for, unless its just me who was daft!

swifto
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:48 AM
I WOULD LIKE SAY A BIG THANK U TO MARLON.Not only does he have a passion for this hobby,he also cares about the fish that he sells.He has taken the time to come over and look at my tank and advised me of some small changes i need to do.HOW MANY OF U who sell these fish can say u take the time to get to know your customers/see their set up and follow up with a phone call to see how the fish hav settled or their health.

lpiasente
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 10:37 AM
It would be good if they could but not all of us are lucky enough to live close by our suppliers (mine in QLD me in VIC). Marlon that is excellent service. Good on you.

Rossco
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 11:19 AM
Great to hear good feedback about Marlon Discus, good for us consumers to hear that. Ty

boxters
Fri Apr 15, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. We are always happy to help. If you are having issues drop us an email. We respond to every email

LEG-IT
Sat Apr 16, 2011, 03:39 AM
this is a bit off the original topic guys, - and i think you posted this in two or three places.
But i was also just wondering where you got the sick fish from to begin with, im also really worried about all the discus diseases you see around syd, and id rather avoid that store if i can!

boxters
Sat Apr 16, 2011, 04:16 AM
you cant always blame the store or the person who supplied you with the fish.

In most cases the person buying the fish is to blame. What is needed is a basic understanding of discus and immunity.

The single biggest problem in the Discus hobby is cross contamination. Discus are bred in hundreds of farms around the world. All these farms are subjected to different disease and bacteria. If you mix discus from different farms they will almost surely get sick as they lack immunity to each others bacteria and disease.

There are a few basic rules one should bare in mind when buying discus.

1) Always start with a health fish. If the fish is healthy when you buy it and it gets sick after being in your tank, whos fault is it?

2) You should always quarantine new fish before introducing them to your tank.

3) Good tank maintenance is a must

4) Always try to buy fish from one supplier. Buying from all over the place is looking for trouble

Regards

Marlons Discus