PDA

View Full Version : stumped

lpiasente
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have a male that would have to be about 4-5 years old (guessing) could be older. He has a cloudy eye. It's not popeye. It has been like this for a few months now and has been treated with metro,pp and now tri sulpha. Still no change. He eats and does everything else normal??? So now I am wondering if it is an age thing??? I have never had an old discus before. Any other suggestions

pfeff
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:55 PM
Going to through an odd one and I have no idea if it occurs in fish but could it be cataracts?

pfeff
Wed Apr 06, 2011, 10:56 PM
I found this in a quick google search
http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/cataracts/

lpiasente
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:16 AM
I thought that myself. The only thing is he has an amazing diet and great water conditions. His other eye was damaged when I got him, an injury that occured at the lps. This eye (the undamaged one)isn't white it does look like it has a slime coating on it.

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:43 AM
If in doubt i stumbled upon curing cloudy eye by accident once (recently) on a friends tank using multicure! He had gotten a bunch of little discus from a forum here in Melbourne and after two or three days the larger fish (his original group) got darkened, clamped fins, and stringy white poo...OH OH!!!!

we treated with Multicure, 3 days at a time with waterchanges in between and an instant re-dose, good news they all got better after 4 treatments, better news still the old SS with cloudy eye looks young again... NO MORE CLOUD!

pfeff
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 12:58 AM
Some other websites also list cataracts can be hereditary.

I've no idea really was just throwing it out there for discussion as should be done on a forum.

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 01:28 AM
multicure is a mix of malachite green and meth blue, both are potent antifungal substances, use with caution (dont go crazy with an overdose) and keep up the water changes.

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 01:46 AM
agree totally, sorry i forgot to put that disclaimer up.

THanks ILLUSN, correct as usual man.

boxters
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 02:02 AM
i would not treat this fish at all. If there are no other signs of bacterial infection treating for the sake of it is likely to cause more damage. Discus eyes are very delicate and it could simply be from rubbing against the side of the tank or plants etc. You usually see this in fish that have been placed in a bucket. they swim in a circle close to the side of the bucket rubbing their eyes. If your ph is relatively high, i would lower your ph to around 5 over a period of a week or so. This must be done gradualy. If it is a mild bacterial issue the low ph will nock it out. leave them at a low ph for about 7 days.

Eye clouding can also be caused by sudden changes in temperature

lpiasente
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:44 AM
mmm now confused.

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 03:53 AM
I'm sorry man,

it was never our intent to confuse you mate.
i try to stay out of disagreements so im going to bow out of this one.

I hope you find resolve and welcome your questions via PM or the website, we will do whatever we can to help.

As im sure will all the members here who may come in and offer you some of their experience.

Regards,
Adrian
EA

lpiasente
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:24 AM
It's all ok. We all have different ideas and I am very thankful for the advice. think I may try the lower ph, The poor fella has had a few different meds thrown at him over the past 3 months. So no one thinks it could be an age thing?? What do old discus look like?

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 04:33 AM
the skin is the first sign, that and pronounced bone structure, just like people! :D

Careful with the ph, ph shock can have worse effects than a cloudy eye.

Common sense prevails.

over and out, good luck mate!

lpiasente
Thu Apr 07, 2011, 05:57 AM
I will be careful with the ph