PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium lights slightly too long for wooden hood

flaggy
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 06:38 AM
Hey guys

Got my new 6x2x2 tank today!

All went well except for the lights which I had bought separately. Overall, it is about 5mm too long on either side for the hood to be positioned.

Apart from getting new lights or a new hood, what would you do?

Any recommended DIY way of cutting some clearance on the inside of the hood to make it fit? Any other ideas?

cheers
Tim

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
angle the light diagonally?

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
As you have given no details regarding the hood it is impossible to make any suggestions.

I have to chisel out a little bit of timber to mount my new t5s in the hood. It was easy and didnt take very long.

lpiasente
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 08:34 PM
angle the light diagonally?

good thinking 99

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:35 PM
Considering the distance between opposite corners will be great than the length of the light you will have to have it running from a front corner of the tank to the opposite rear corner. It will also mean that the light will be sitting on the glass covers and not the sides of the tank.

pfeff
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:40 PM
Work out how much extra room you need ie. 10-20mm. and then work out if there is enough wood to scollop out the inner of the hood in the position you want the light.

Get a router, set it to the correct depth ie. if you need 20mm of extra room overall take 10mm out of both sides of the hood. Use the router to cut out a scollop. Other than that your only option is to mod the light housing and I don't suggest doing that unless you have a good electrical nouse or you could do damage to both yourself and the light.

Just my thoughts.

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:40 PM
its only 5mm on either side, shouldnt have to go corner to corner ?

flaggy
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
Yep, didn't work.

It's a normal wooden hood that goes on top of the tank, covering a little of the top glass on all four sides.

Was thinking of chiselling.

And the reflector is a 6 foot, 4 tube Heto reflector. When I remove the plastic covers of the Heto at both ends, it fits perfectly. Might see how I could reseal the ends with something less bulky...

Considering the distance between opposite corners will be great than the length of the light you will have to have it running from a front corner of the tank to the opposite rear corner. It will also mean that the light will be sitting on the glass covers and not the sides of the tank.

Exotic Aquatic
Thu Mar 24, 2011, 11:00 PM
try some tape, then over it some heat shrink tubing over the wires and joins, and leave the covers off?

it will be pretty water tight if done proper;y, and can be done for $10-$20 after a trip to your closest electrical supply or bunnings.

flaggy
Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:31 AM
Good ideas to explore... Cheers

try some tape, then over it some heat shrink tubing over the wires and joins, and leave the covers off?

it will be pretty water tight if done proper;y, and can be done for $10-$20 after a trip to your closest electrical supply or bunnings.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Mar 25, 2011, 05:33 AM
Where in Sydney are you located mate?

AHC
Mon Mar 28, 2011, 12:45 AM
x2 for the router. You could hire one from bunnings. It will be the best option to get a clean clearing on the hood. Just mark the area needing to be removed. Limit the router to 5mm and away you go.