PDA

View Full Version : Time for change

Hollowman
Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
Maybe some of you, my friends have noticed that I have not been around much lately, maybe not :( But I have made the decision to give my beautiful fish hobby a rest for a while, maybe for good here. I have shut down my system, sold all my fish, albino discus, wild Scalre angels and my pairs of breeding Sterbai. The tanks are drained, pipework all thrown in the skip and tanks and RO system sold.

I have been keeping discus for the last 20+ years so it has not been easy to say goodbye to them, but the time had come.

To all my friends here on the forum, I wish to thank you for the interaction we have shared, sometimes argumentative :evil: , sometimes fun :lol: , sometimes encouraging :wink: and sometimes to consol :cry: and sometimes just to take the mick :roll: But I always tried to put the fish first, that is why we are all here.

I have never met any of you guys as I am on the other side of the planet, but I have enjoyed the banter we all shared, and feel like I know some of you well.

My reasons for my absence is because my life is changing, different priorities, evolving, taking me to places I only dreamed of. My fish started to become secondary and I could not give them the dedication they deserved. I am in fact moving within the next year to the far east, to the Philippines. I have a house and farm there, and next month I will marry my fiancee. So, giving it all up for love... :roll: I hear you say.... am I crazy?? no, it's just sometimes you have to have a break. I am going to the Philippines for 5 weeks next month so leaving others to look after the system was not on the cards. I do hope one day to have more tanks when i get settled again, possibly collecting native fish from the beautiful rivers that run near my new home.

So, I will try to drop in every now and then to see how you guys are getting on.

thanks for everything.

Steve :)

swampy1972
Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:33 PM
That's a real shame Steve. I for one have learnt many lessons from reading your input and have often marvelled at your collection of fish.
I wish you all the best for your move and upcoming wedding and look forward to seeing here again.
You better than most know how amazing the Discus are in Asia, so hopefully the bug will bite again and we'll see you back here.
Thanks for your input to this forum mate, you'll be missed here ;)

goodoo
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:21 AM
That sucks. Had some fun. Will miss your hardcore drilling of fish keepers.

jim from sydney
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
Best of luck Steve... PS The things we do for our lady friends?????

mitsui
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 02:49 AM
Congradulations on getting engaged! Hope your enjoy the next stepping stone in life, and your new country! At least it will be a change from the snowy weather of the uk

:D

BobbyBruce
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 03:07 AM
Hi Steve,

Firstly congratulations and very good luck with the future "partnership". The Philipines have always been one of my favourite places to visit, beautiful people and beautiful country.

Secondly, Australia is just a hop away by comparison to where you were and ther are plenty of "Discus" merchants if the bug should bite again.

Thirdly, thank you for the time and information you have shared with us.

Good Luck,

Bob

karisdiscus
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 04:59 AM
steve,

Thanks for all your help! I hope you have a great life. You never know you might end up catching the bug again...lol :P

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 05:45 AM
dont worry Steve, you'll be back :)

Hollowman
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
dont worry Steve, you'll be back :)

In one way or another I am sure my friend.

Thanks guys for your kind words
Steve

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 09:45 AM
you will be missed mate.

Hollowman
Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:56 PM
you will be missed mate.

Tell you what Ado, I'll pop in every now and again to make sure you are keeping in line ok.
take care buddy :wink:

lpiasente
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
That sucks. Had some fun. Will miss your hardcore drilling of fish keepers.

lol

lpiasente
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 09:38 AM
keepin' in touch. enjoy your 5 weeks in the Phillipines. x

Hollowman
Wed Mar 16, 2011, 10:13 AM
keepin' in touch. enjoy your 5 weeks in the Phillipines. x
Will Leanne, you know how to find me :wink:

goodoo
Thu Mar 17, 2011, 11:04 AM
When I first joined this forum, I hated Hollowman. Never really took him on though cos he is a fish ninja warrior. After a while agreed with everything he said. A loss to Discus forums. A few more scardey cats might hang around cos they arnt drilled to death by holloman but otherwise will miss your sense of houmour which is hard to find on American sights.

Old Dave
Sat Mar 19, 2011, 05:55 AM
The way I read it, the system goes, but the Internet STAYS!!

I'm sure all that good advice won't go to waste.
Thanks for being a part of our hobby and the discus community.
Catch up soon.

Enjoy the Phillipines. You can send us pics of their discus farms if you like... :twisted:

Hope the new direction blesses you both.

Old Dave

Hollowman
Sun Mar 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks Goodoo, I am sorry if I ever offended you, I never mean to upset anyone, but as you know our passions run deep. :wink:

Dave, yes, the system all gone now, but you make a good point about the internet. You guys here are too good to forget, I'll drop by every now and then to stir things up a little lol

If I get set up again in the Philippines you guys will be the first to know.

Steve