PDA

View Full Version : Discus staying in corner and one at an angle.

rdub
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 05:32 AM
Had a discus that was injured. Appeard to "grow" fungus around the injury. Wasn't able to remove injured fish til yesterday. It died today. Question that may be related to the injured/dead discus. After the injury the fish developed what looked like, maybe, fungus around the wound. I now have a "film" on the inside of my tank with the other 5 discus. All were very healthy a couple of days ago and now these are staying in one corner. I did about a 30% water change today. Anything you can think of that might cause the film on the inside of the tank and bothering the remaining fish?

As I recall all 5 fish looked good this morning.

Treatment?

lpiasente
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:41 AM
could be slime coating?? I would be doing more than a 30% change. Keep up with big regular water changes with a wipedown of the glass and see how you go.
what are your ammonia nitrate and nitrite readings. Sounds like it could be a water quality issue

rdub
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 08:47 AM
Wipe it down with what, just paper towels or?

lpiasente
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 10:45 AM
Yep good old paper towel. You can use magents or an aquarium cleaner but I use paper towel.

boxters
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 10:55 AM
Two things can cause this film

1) biological filter not working which will result in ammonia and nitrite

2) bacterial infection.

We can rule out the first with a simple water test.

If it's bacterial you will need to treat

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 10:57 AM
IME wounds will only fungus if the water quality is poor.

What size tank? Filtration? Maintenance, etc?

rdub
Wed Mar 02, 2011, 03:08 PM
60 gallon tank. PH 7.5. Hardness 100 ppm. Temp about 84. No new fish. All happened when fish was injured during fight to protect eggs. Remaining 5 looked fine yesterday morning.