PDA

View Full Version : Injured Male

rdub
Sat Feb 26, 2011, 11:28 PM
Posted this in another area by mistake. Sorry.

A pair of my discus laid eggs yesterday in the tank with 4 other adults. This is the first time the others all congregated around the pot with the eggs and tried to eat them. The previously, very healthy, male "fought" them off for a time before I divided them. The male is now just hanging in the corner. Could he have gotten hurt during this scuffle? Anything I can do?

I can now see that his head was injured. Almost looks cut. May have scraped it on the pot the eggs were on.

Acriflavine was recommended but can't find it in a 20 mile radius. Only thing I can find is Melafix.

ILLUSN
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:15 AM
Melafix has never worked on my discus if you maintain the water he will heal on his own is he still guarding the eggs?

rdub
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:32 AM
No. Neither of the pair are guarding the eggs. The partner is staying close to the injured male

boxters
Sun Feb 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
I agree with illusn. Just keep the tank very clean and if you feed beef heart you can add some sentrum multi vitamins to it. Fish ate similar to us and other animals. Imagine you fell down a flight of stairs or got into a brawl, you would just want to relax. I would only worry if there is no improvement in 72 hours