PDA

View Full Version : Plant Demon

BobbyBruce
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hi all,

I have only had my tank set up for a short while but I have been somewhat concerned that some of the leaves on my amazon swords have huge great chunks taken out of them. My poor old Amazon Frogbit is also taking a hiding.

I have noticed over the last couple of days that some of the chunks of leaf that have been floating around in my tank have been folded over. I removed three of these peices (watching for more) and opened them up. Low and behold there are little grubby/caterpillary things snuggled up in these sections of leaf.

Q1. What the hell are they?

Q2. What the hell can I do to get rid of them?

Wish my camera was working so that I could show you all.

What the he'll is wrong with H E L L??

Regards,

Bob

goodoo
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
That sounds like a YOU MUST DIE THING.

BobbyBruce
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for that Goodoo,

Three of them have "DIED" this very evening.

Cheers,

Bob

BobbyBruce
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hi All,

I fished out another 8 of these things this evening. For those of you that have seen the damage that a "Leaf Cutter Bee" does you will be able to imagine the damage that these things are doing to my swords, particularly the Melon swords.

The "beast" is a small grub/caterpillar type of thing that folds two pieces of the leaf together (not sure whether post or pre-cutting. The two parts are held together by some form of silk/web type stucture. Not quite what I would call a coccoon but similar.

These are not Cadis Fly which I have had in another tank a couple of years ago.

Any of you that have had a look/search manage to find anything that they might be. Sadly my camera has decided to become markedly disfunctional yesterday so I am unable to post pics to give you all a better idea other than the verbal description.

Regards,

Bob

ILLUSN
Wed Feb 16, 2011, 12:52 AM
i had catapillers mow down my watersprite, no big deal once the leaves went they fell into the water and the geos and angels took care of them.

no catapillers gand and plants look better then ever.

just remove what you can, nothing beats clean live food for you fish :)

goodoo
Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:01 AM
Maybe you need a terminater style caterpillar killer in there. I would through some loachs in there ? . Maybe Illusn could help here

goodoo
Wed Feb 16, 2011, 01:13 AM
Good Timing ILLUSN. Beat me to it.