boxters
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
SUPER ERUPTION SHOW GRADE

boxters
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 07:56 AM
ALBINO RED COVER AA GRADE

mcloughlin2
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 02:05 PM
Some very nice discus Marlon, but I have a question regarding grading. Your 'show' discus appear to have less then ideal body shape and eye size.

Just as reference you graded the body shape of this discus as 'C' (http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22071), while some of your discus with beaks are graded 'Show' :?

What sort of guidelines do you use to grade discus?

nchutz
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 03:49 PM
nice looking fish bro... but not show quality fish for me... sorry (peace)

pfeff
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:24 PM
Guys as the owner of Hera (formerly Hermes). I've bought 3 of my 9 discus from Marlon and have seen his private tanks twice now.

Hera is long in the body. Marlon's photograph of his show discus is by far not the best. What you see as long in the body is merely an optical illusion.

Mattzilla
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
some stunning fish, well done

boxters
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys

SS317
Sat Feb 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
ALBINO RED COVER AA GRADE
I love this fish boxters do you have any for sale?

rex82
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:34 AM
Some very nice discus Marlon, but I have a question regarding grading. Your 'show' discus appear to have less then ideal body shape and eye size.

Just as reference you graded the body shape of this discus as 'C' (http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22071), while some of your discus with beaks are graded 'Show' :?

What sort of guidelines do you use to grade discus?

I agree.... The super eruption and the jumbo pigeon are far from show quality. I'm sure he has some nice fish though

mcloughlin2
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm more concerned about the clear beaks on the 'show' discus, aswell as some less then smooth foreheads.

boxters
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
If these fish have beaks then I'm the pope. For the expert judges out there that I can guess have not done much on the international show circuit, look closely at the pics. I took these in a rush for a friend in Melbourne on my mobile phone. These tanks live in my garage and are used to natural light. It was a little late in the Argo when I took the pics so I turned on a light to light up the tank hence some of the stendker juries look like they are in the dark. I don't use a flas. So the fish are almost lying on their sides from the shock of the light. Those that have seen the fish will tell you the are very good shape

nchutz
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:02 AM
perhaps we expect more from your fish that you labeled "show, AA grade, etc"... just a different standard on grading...

nchutz
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:06 AM
thx for the explanation... just a newbie here, but perhaps we expect more from your fish that you labeled "show, AA grade, etc"... just a different standard on grading...

ivo
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:33 AM
They are not bad discus but only very average standard. They may look stunning for beginners but they are no where show quality. Perhaps Marlon should be a little more humble before giving them these label. Further, may be Marlon should re take better pictures of them and post them in simply discus for judgement time?

mcloughlin2
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:01 AM
I guess your the pope marlon because I can see at least two good side on photos showing discus with obvious beaks

They are not bad discus but only very average standard. They may look stunning for beginners but they are no where show quality. Perhaps Marlon should be a little more humble before giving them these label. Further, may be Marlon should re take better pictures of them and post them in simply discus for judgement time?

+ 1 :lol:

boxters
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:07 AM
in my opinion simply discus is the worst forum on the net for discus. Sorry but i have been involved in the international circuit for years and even sponsor the international site, as we supply some of these countries fish from our farm overseas. If i was going to let anyone judge my fish it would be the BIDKA forum with guys like Volke Stendker, Mark Evenden, Chris Ingham who i spent time with over Christmas and New Year and Paul Lukas from Discus south. I have nothing to prove, i know what fish i have, and all are welcome to come take a look. Like i keep saying there are to many people on these forums that have had 4 or 5 discus for a few years who like to judge and think they know it all. I am always open to constructive criticism, but those that give it better make sure they have done the research first and are talking from personal experience. i will always accept when i think someone is correct and voice my opinion strongly when they are not

Rossco
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:33 AM
Discus The Naked Truth.

Ever since i read the book i have learned so much in what is quality.
Shows pictures in what is show grade and what is not desirable.

Seems to me everyplace i go too they say A grade from the local paper to nearly everyplace if not everyplace.
A grade is used far to commonly. Just me or you guys seeing term A grade used alot also?

One thing i will say, go see Rod Lewis discus from Jeffry Yang and current grand champion Ricky Lim, you do not see him label his discus A grade. Its very refreshing and modest.

I think when you see A grade you expect perfection in everything.I mean PERFECT!! like i said, A grade is used way way way to common.

Some very nice discus boxters.

boxters
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:40 AM
at last someone with a little common sense and knowledge. Those Andrew soh book i agree are a wealth of knowledge for the biginner. I think every person with discus should have at least those 2 books on the shelf. As for A grade, just to be clear, A grade is a good fish with defects. This is a quality fish that your average discus keeper will not notice the defects. If we look at B grade, the defects are obviouse to the average discus person. AA grade is a very good looking fish with fewer defects, and AAA grade well almost perfect. Hope this sheds some clarity

Rossco
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:48 AM
It does shed clarity boxters, Thanks.

ivo
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 05:23 AM
Common sense tells people when they purchase a classified "A" grade discus then it is a very high standard discus already, but if your "A" grade mean it has several defects and just not noticeable for beginners, well, then it is a different story. To be cleared to your buyers may be you should list your definition on your website, i.e., A to AAAAAAAAAAAA grades so people would know what real grade they have purchased.

They are your discus you can call them whatever grade you want but when you put them out there in the public, you should expect people to judge them especially label them as "show quality". Afterall it is those average discus keepers buy your stock and you need them.

swampy1972
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 05:58 AM
If we look at B grade, the defects are obviouse to the average discus person.

This is what I'd apply to your "show quality Super Eruption" as per the attached photo. There's a very noticeable indentation in the brow of the fish and the dorsal does not evenly merge from the body shape.. The Red Dragon also has a noticable indentation in the forehead- clearly highlighted against the white stand pipe.

Your Albino Red Cover however is a very beautiful fish.. On the whole you have some lovely stock. :salute:

It seems a shame that you profess to know the level of experience that we "average keepers" may or may not have. In the case of the two photos identifed, it doesn't take a highly experienced 'professional judge' to pick these defects. Please take on board the input we (your potential customers) have to offer. No-one is mounting a personal attack, just pointing out some general concerns.. ;)

BobbyBruce
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 06:01 AM
Hi Marlon,

Seems odd to me that you rubbish Simply Discus yet you are a Simply Discus Sponsor, I-trader and contribute to the forums on average at least once per day.

You have also used that site to research and obtain advise regarding health issues you have had with your "Planted Display Tank"

Seems odd to me that when other fanciers identify aspects of the fish you have identified as show grade as being less than show grade providing details as to why. You intimate that they lack experience/knowledge in relation to discus rather than explain why you consider the fish to be show grade.

You talk about having years of experience as if that is an extensive perioed but you state elsewhere that you have been involved in discus for 10 years. I bought my first discus in the early 70's having absolutely no idea what I was doing. I gave up on them. I took on some more eight years ago but they were not really what I wanted.

I have started to get together a collection of fish that I would be happy with including RSG's I have from you which were identified as A grade. I will endeavour to get some decent shots of these fish together over the next few days. Shots that do the fish justice and post them up. Even to a neophyte discus keeper such as myself these fish should obviously not be graded the same. I will accept that young discus will develop at different rates and that some will turn out better than others but these fish all came here at the same time, they all went through the same quarantine, water-change regimes, feeding and medications so variation should be minimal. It is quite clearly not.

Instead of trying to ridicule other fanciers and their experience/observations you would perhaps find it better to "Justify" your claims in relation to a set of criteria as suggested by McLoughlin 2.

Regards,

Bob

boxters
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:11 AM
Just to clarify my comment about simply discus, it's not the forum I have an issue with it's some of the members. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Ghoti
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:14 AM
I would agree that posting your gradings on the website would help. As a newbie I struggle to tell the difference between A, AA, Show grade etc. Only difference I see is the price tag :^)

Never the less, I'm very envious and would be proud to own any of them!

Cheers,
Scott

boxters
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
Thank you

pfeff
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:07 AM
The internet... where everyone that has a keyboard is an Xspert...

Do you all know what xspert stands for?

X - is an unknown quantity;
spert - is a drip under pressure...

Marlon I would call an expert not an Xspert. If you have not been to his place and seen his fish in person you really don't have the right information for which to judge him or his discus.

BobbyBruce
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:34 AM
Hi Pfeff,

Can I ask what criteria you use to judge the quality of a fish other than what you are told by Marlon regardless of his experience and level of expertise or XSpertise.

Others have indicated that some of Marlon's show grade fish exhibit clear faults and have identified those faults against criteria. Whether or not the photos do the indicated fish justice or not they do "appear" to have clear faults.

Can I also ask you how many other experts you have spoken to and listened to as they assess the "Quality" of a fish explaining why they have rated it as a certain standard?

Regards,

Bob

swampy1972
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
The internet... where everyone that has a keyboard is an Xspert...

Do you all know what xspert stands for?

X - is an unknown quantity;
spert - is a drip under pressure...

Marlon I would call an expert not an Xspert. If you have not been to his place and seen his fish in person you really don't have the right information for which to judge him or his discus.

From what I've read, none of the members here are calling themselves expert (whatever your definition), but the photos are pretty clear. At least 2 demonstrate some distinct defects but are graded as "show quality" or A grd. It's the definition of the grade of fish that members have challenged (even after Marlon clarified his system), not the expertise of Marlon himself.

I for one challenged the grading of 2 of the fish, but I also commended him highly for the others.. No-one has launched a personal attack so I'd suggest keeping things civil ;)

ivo
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Pfeff, no one here called Marlon's discus bad at all but based on the photos, no matter they were taken in a rush or taken by poor quality camera they are no show quality. In a few years time after buying more discus from different sources, then you will understand what we are based on to form our opinion.

mcloughlin2
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't have anything really to add to what has been said, I think the other members have covered it perfectly.

It would be nice to hear some explanations or answers to some of the more then reasonable requests made by people in this thread. I think ignoring them or answering with insults doesn't really help explain the situation.

BobbyBruce
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi Marlon,

As you know I have very limited knowledge relating to the showing of discus. I have never been to a discus show and the only information I have relating to the grading of discus has been as a consequence of reading about Discus in books and online.

Using that information I make the following comments relating to three of the fish that you have included in this thread. That is not to say that I don't like them, I do. Especially the Albino Red Cover.

Red Dragon

Good shape, apparent indentation at upper eye level on the forehead in this picture. Indentation gives the mouth a “beak” appearance.

Smooth emergence of both dorsal and anal fins, however there is significant variation between the “emergence” points of the two fins when assessed in the vertical line.

Base colour consistent across the body of the fish and clearly defined patterning.

Could not comment on facial markings from this picture. Not willing to comment on mouth shape without a front on shot. Eye position and size good, would like it to be redder, appears closer to orange in this pic, may be due to light.

Super Eruption

Fair shape, seems to lack depth in rear lower quarter (to my eye). Again in this picture there is an indentation level with the upper eye line. Mouth appears “beak-like” as a consequence.

Abrupt/steep emergence of the dorsal fin takes away from the “roundness” of the upper body. Unable to compare “equal” emergence of dorsal and anal fins in this picture.

Base colour and patterning good, clearly defined. Facial patterning looks good but would like a “macro” picture before commenting further. Eye is not “clear” solid red, eye bar evident.

Albino Red Cover

Very good shape, beautifully curved forehead no evidence of indentations or bumps in this picture. Smooth emergence of both dorsal and anal fins and apparently close to the same “vertical” line on the fish. Possible slight defect on both dorsal and anal fins just behind the last of the hard rays, may be a temporary “folding” of the fins. Needs to be seen live.

Body colour very good. No evidence of peppering or patterning.

Eye well positioned. of a good shape, size and colour.

Regards,

Bob

ivo
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Pfeff, from what I can see you started collecting discus since Sep last year so it is only natural you believe everything LFS said it's the truth. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. I went through this pathway myself at the beginning so no big deal.

FYI and nothing personal:
- you have a highly peppered red melon and it is not an albino red melon
- your little snakeskin is not a cross from albino and heckel. Whoever told you that snakeskin is expensive because it is rare, it's not true. Snakeskin is not rare.
- you have a nice brown discus but brown turquoise??? There are blue, red and green turquoise. I could be wrong but never heard of brown turquoise.

You will learn to distinguish quality discus over time. Everybody is.

ivo
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 01:27 PM
Albino red cover: the beginning hard rays of anal fin are individually separated. Red colour is practically disappeared.

Eruption: Lower part of the body is lack of spots and existing spots are not defined. Undesirable iris colour. Push back anal fin from the forehead.

Red Dragon: cute high body but it definitely has a beak.

nchutz
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 03:21 PM
Come to my little house, then I'll show you my "standard" quality fish that actually I breed them myself trough years of improvement... again, just a standard quality fish, so don't expect too much... not as good as your show quality fish... but i dare to take those fish to compete in Duisburg or Aquarama Singapore even with your show quality fish as the competitor hehehe...

Then you'll know just what kind a newbie i am... ^^ say hallo to andrew soh if you meet him... and say don't eat pork meat to much again... lose some weight... :p

Everyone has it own standard, methods in raising or creating quality discus... including those name you mentioned... they wrote a book or set their own standard base on their experience...

but again... what about yourself... what's your standard? or you just another book and article follower kind a guy...

have you ever breed (create from your own fish pair, not buy, improved them years by years geneticly, shape, etc...) a discus fish from egg and raise them into the big size, select the best shape, best health, color, genetic, and winning a contest in international event? talk to me again if you already did... then I'll find you have the same skill & experience...

my suggestion for you bro... don't underestimate another...

pfeff
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Pfeff, from what I can see you started collecting discus since Sep last year so it is only natural you believe everything LFS said it's the truth. Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. I went through this pathway myself at the beginning so no big deal.

FYI and nothing personal:
- you have a highly peppered red melon and it is not an albino red melon
- your little snakeskin is not a cross from albino and heckel. Whoever told you that snakeskin is expensive because it is rare, it's not true. Snakeskin is not rare.
- you have a nice brown discus but brown turquoise??? There are blue, red and green turquoise. I could be wrong but never heard of brown turquoise.

You will learn to distinguish quality discus over time. Everybody is.

Whilst I am new to Discus keeping (its actually been about 1.5yrs since i got my first discus...), I do find it interesting that you assume that I am not savvy enough to sipher through BS. FYI I am trained and work in Marketing so coming up with BS is my living... Marketing - the art of creating crap that sells things to people.

Why is my red melon highly peppered? It has about 15 spots on its face... my snakeskin is actually a cross between an albino and heckel I have personally viewed the parents. Genetics are odd things that are not fully understood and its quite possible that the parents had recessive genes (i dont know i'm not a genetics expert) He is stunted because of my noobness.

If you wish to argue about the name of the brown turquoise then go ahead and have a go at George from SLS. I bought it because it was a nice Discus.

I note you didnt mention either my 2 pearl pigeons from Marlon, my 2 red turqs from Ken at my LFS or my big pigeon from Ken.

Also before you all start having a go at me for not have seen enough discus to form my own opinions i'll tell you how much research i've done.

Shops i've been too:

Ken - Carlton FishBowl
Marlon - Marlons Discus
JMS at Carlingford
B&Q Aquariums in Matraville
Sydney Discus World
Auburn Aquariums
Asquith Aquariums
Majestic Aquariums
Marrickville Aquariums
Some aquarium place in Dulwich Hill
Strictly Aquariums both Auburn & Hurstville
Hurstville Aquariums

places i've searched on the net.
Simply discus.com
fish forums .com.au
this forum
Heiko's website
and about 50 others I can't remember the name of.

Places i've bought discus.
JMS
Marlon
Carlton Fishbowl
Auburn Aquarium
SLS

Would you say that is a fair amount of research?

ivo
Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:01 PM
Dude, your red melon has black tail and black dorsal fin. These are peppering. Peppering don't just apply on body only and albino does not have black color. I only pointed out these three discus you got because you don't have correct information on them. Clearly LFS have done a good "marketing" job on you. Believe what you believe dude.

pfeff
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:15 AM
Thankyou for telling me why you think my melon is highly peppered. Once again as with my Brown Turq from SLS I bought it because I liked it.

Once again you neglect to comment bout the amount of research I have done. Its easy to pick but harder to commend...

ivo
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:07 AM
Seriously what do you want me to comment on your research? I thought I have pointed out the lack of basic knowledge for your own discus swimming in your tank. There is nothing wrong to be lacked of knowledge for a beginner. I was once too.

Ben75
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 02:59 AM
Hi boxters,
Sorry to see this thread has turn out the way it has.
Thanks for posting pics of your private collection.
I would like to see some better pics under good lighting.
If i am ever down that way , would like to call through and see
them in the flesh. I hope to see more pics in this or another thread soon.
Kind Regards

pfeff
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 06:11 AM
So Ivo if you believe I have a lack of basic knowledge then please feel free to teach me in the wise ways of Ivo... The wise ways of Marlon have helped me A LOT more than the wise ways of Ivo have to this point.

Note: Marlon has sold me 2 good pigeons and a good leopard. I am more than satisfied with all 3 of them. I've not been sold anything that I was not promised. For the price I would say they are very reasonable fish.

I'm still yet to see any of your fish, merely only critise what I have. So please feel free, I put forward to you that if you wish to rubbish other peoples fish then put up some of your own.

nchutz
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 06:32 AM
look guys... enough is enough...
the main thing is just a question about marlon's fish grading difference... like i said earlier, perhaps each person has a different standard and some do expect more from the fish that labeled with show quality, AA, etc... that's all...

the opinion about the shape, color or physical form, i think it's quite fair here, good or bad comments are welcome... everything written about the fish are base on what they seen from the picture... but not saying the fish are poor quality or somethin'... maybe in some of these friend's mind including me, the labeled fish should be more than what they seen... okay...

I think Marlon had take it the wrong way about some of the comments here... so enough is enough...

pfeff
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Pfeff,

Can I ask what criteria you use to judge the quality of a fish other than what you are told by Marlon regardless of his experience and level of expertise or XSpertise.

Others have indicated that some of Marlon's show grade fish exhibit clear faults and have identified those faults against criteria. Whether or not the photos do the indicated fish justice or not they do "appear" to have clear faults.

Can I also ask you how many other experts you have spoken to and listened to as they assess the "Quality" of a fish explaining why they have rated it as a certain standard?

Regards,

Bob

What I use to determine Discus when I purchase are:

Body shape (looking for a round flowing body)
Eye Colour (redness) & proportioning
Patterning (ie full patterning)
With pigeons (peppering), my melon has some but according to ivo it has alot. Personally the black fins make my melon look good to me. If it doesnt to you then be glad its in my tank not urs. Poseidon is one of my favourites.
Pelvic fins, long, undamaged
Dorsal & Anal fins, flowing with body line, unbroken (except for the first 8spines or so which i believe is normal) & a nice distance to the caudal fin
Must be thick throughout the body and active in the tank
Should be eager for food as well

And the most important of all. It must appeal to me. Hera my big pigeon was just stunning to me. I know she is long in the body but i dont really care because she is beautiful to me.

Agree, disagree i don't really care because you are not me and everyone has differing opinions.

I think Marlon's discus as posted are bloody fantasic. I think it is good on his behalf to have posted his private collection. I would challenge you to post better discus from your own collections. I also think it good that Marlon does grade his fish and is able to share information. I have been to a few places (as per above) and what is 'A' grade there is far below the standard that I have purchased from Marlon.

I also think it is far to easy to type from behind the safety of a keyboard but harder to put your money where your mouth is.

I've been open, be it correct or not. I've posted pics of my fish. So where are yours?

nchutz
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 06:53 AM
come on pfeff, stop it... enough is enough...

boxters
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 06:58 AM
I did not take anything the wrong way, we are all adults here. In life however people like to demean and criticise in order to make themselves feel good, and its that type of conversation i will not get involved in. Secondly as mentioned, those pictures were not taken for the forum, but posted there as it was an easy way to send some pics to a friend. Please all are welcome to see the fish in the flesh, as the pics i posted are just a sample of what i have.

I think some of the international judges i am very close with would frown about some of the comments here, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, after all the forum is for exchanging ideas and to enable us to grow as individuals both personally and in our hobby.

The article that i have cut and pasted below is written by an international Discus judge, product developer and Author of the latest discus manual which will be available on my website shortly. I used his article as i thought it best to keep everything on here independent and not just my point of view. Now The international standard differs slightly to what we use in Australia. They use the term 1st grade which would be the equivalent of our AAA grade. Anyhow this is how i have always graded and will continue to grade discus

MAKING THE GRADE

Discus like Many other fish are usually graded for quality as a standard, as either a figure (i.e. 1st grade) or a letter (A grade, B grade etc.). This is a useful measure, because it gives the buyer an idea of the quality of the discus he or she will receive if buying by mail order or internet. Many new to the discus keeping hobby may think 1st grade is the best grade. Wrong!! Show grade is classed as, as perfect a discus as possible, with a good round shape, well-proportioned eye size to the size of the body. If the eye is too large, it means the discus has stunted growth, but to give you a flavour, show grade is the best top grade. Next up is 1st grade, which means the fish is of good standard, and has only a few minor ‘faults’ to stop it gaining a show grade place. To give you an example, a fully spotted leopard would be a good start for a perfect fish. If it had patches and plain colour breaking up the spots, but not a lot, this could be classed as 1st grade. If it had large patches with not many spots, it would slip down to A grade and so on. Same goes for bent fins, chipped eyes, and rugby ball shaped body and so on. After 1st grade comes A grade, then B grade and so on classing the quality of the discus. So once you go into the classing of letters, the lower quality the discus as you go further down from A.

The perfect show discus should have all of the following:

• A good round body shape, not rugby ball shaped.
• Perfect sized eyes for the size of the body.
• No bent, missing or broken fins or tail.
• No chipped eyes. (This is a genetic fault and looks like a chip out of the side of the eye)
• Should be of good pattern and colour according to the strain of the discus.
• Pigeons should be of clean looking appearance and have no ‘soot’ or ‘black carbon’ marks on the face or body.
• It goes without saying, the discus should be in good colour and not black and sick.
• Any stress bars ideally should be straight, and not broken.
• If you look at the discus head on, it should not have a ‘pinched’ in look above the eyes.
• Its mouth should be straight and level, not twisted or warped.
• If a show fish, the discus should be as large as possible, because extra points will be given at shows for size, as long as all of the above are in place.

Chris Ingham, author of DISCUS WORLD, the complete manual for the discus keeper.

ivo
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 07:19 AM
Pfeff, my point was not to gutter your discus. Just think harder.

BobbyBruce
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 07:45 AM
Hi Pfeff,

Thanks for the response. In regards to my fish there are only two pics I have put in the discus critique.

I have some pics including fish in the my new 6x2x2 thread here in the "Album".

I also have some pics of young discus spawning in the breeding basics thread.

Please have a look at them. I do not claim them to be A, AA or show grade just fish that I enjoy.

By the way, your "Brown Turq" could well have found him/herself swimming around in my tank. If I hadn't been aware that you were considering buying that fish I would have asked George to send it over to me.

Marlon,

Thanks for listing the criteria you use to assess fish.

Regards,

Bob

mcloughlin2
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 08:09 AM
I think some of the international judges i am very close with would frown about some of the comments here, but everyone is entitled to their opinion, after all the forum is for exchanging ideas and to enable us to grow as individuals both personally and in our hobby.

I think you and pfeff have missed the points made. The initial questions were asked about your grading of your show fish. Any degrading comments made in this thread were started by you, or people defending you when it was said that me, amoung others are nothing more then internet 'know alls'. Would you care to explain how the questioning of a discus that is not show quality would offend international judges?

According too the points made by Chris Ingham two of your so called 'Show' discus are ruled out as 'Show' discus because they do NOT have a nice round body. They are very nice discus and based on the average discus in Australia they would fall within the above average quality but they simply don't cut it as show discus, simple.

nchutz
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 08:34 AM
hmm...

Marlon, I understand that you grade your fish according what you've been told & books as guideline... that's why you always mentioned names & books several times... this is why you won't understand the point that we're trying to deliver in different perspective...

it's like the different point of view between office staff and field person... the other are according rules & theory, while the other are according what they did & experience... not saying which one is better, only different... so don't take it as critique or insult, just a different point of view... that's also why some of the friends here are trying to ask you about how you label/grade your fish, because in their eyes, they have a different story... for someone is good enough, but for another maybe not good enough... just a different standard of perfection...

cheers,

axl
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 08:35 AM
Chill pills are needed here those 1's that you buy off the streets.

pfeff
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
come on pfeff, stop it... enough is enough...

I was responding to a question...

Pfeff, my point was not to gutter your discus. Just think harder.

Ivo you still haven't imparted any of the discus wisdom you say you have. I've asked once, do I need to ask a second time? Thinking harder isn't exactly discus wisdom...

Hi Pfeff,

Thanks for the response. In regards to my fish there are only two pics I have put in the discus critique.

I have some pics including fish in the my new 6x2x2 thread here in the "Album".

I also have some pics of young discus spawning in the breeding basics thread.

Please have a look at them. I do not claim them to be A, AA or show grade just fish that I enjoy.

By the way, your "Brown Turq" could well have found him/herself swimming around in my tank. If I hadn't been aware that you were considering buying that fish I would have asked George to send it over to me.

Marlon,

Thanks for listing the criteria you use to assess fish.

Regards,

Bob

Bob my problem is not with you. You I find interesting and your 6x2x2 is looking pretty darn nice.

Apollo (Brown Turq from SLS) is in my mind a nice discus. I will tell you why I bought him. I liked him. That simple. I was on my way home from the Hunter and called in to see George's new shipment and he caught my eye.

I will continue to say until you all see Marlon's fish upclose then you are all ill advised as to their quality. They look different in RL.

Thats it for me. Ivo im still interested to here your wisdom if you wish to PM me.

ivo
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 09:59 AM
Pfeff, just do a search here on my posts and you will find hundred photos of my discus. Knock yourselves out.

scott bowler
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:09 AM
ok boys and girls everyone has had some very good points and has said there bit , if we are not going to play nice this post will be locked , we all have differing opinions so thank you all. let us enjoy the fish we have and share the pics . thank you guys

BobbyBruce
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks Scott,

As an educator I enjoy learning. I believe this thread has helped me to improve my understanding of grading systems and the methodologies some use in grading their discus.

I think that some of the learning has been "hard", but the occassional "hard" lesson is a necessity.

Regards,

Bob

rex82
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:46 PM
Pfeff, just do a search here on my posts and you will find hundred photos of my discus. Knock yourselves out.

I'll second this after being on this forum a few years and seeing Ivo's posts

nellie
Thu Feb 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
boxters was only showing us his privet collection, lol funny

swampy1972
Mon Feb 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
boxters was only showing us his privet collection, lol funny

I'd say you've missed the point of the comments nellie.. :shock: