PDA

View Full Version : Bump on discus head

n.hanke
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I have a breeding pair who have been very successful first time parents. They just laid eggs again today and I noticed a very obvious small pea like bump just at the front of the female's dorsal fin. There is also a white thick thread protruding out of the bump. She is still eating and behaving normally.

Water parameters are as follows:
pH - 6.6
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Ammonia - 0
Temp - 29 degree C

Could she have some sort of parasite? I tried attaching a photo but didn't seem to work :-I

boxters
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 01:18 PM
If I could get a clear picture I can give you better advice. It sounds like the early stages of hole in the head. It usually starts with a bump that looks like a zit with a coil of puss coming out of it. It's in an odd place though. A pic would help. To be safe I would probably mix some multi vitamins like sent rum in the food as stud dies have shown there is a link between hole in the head and dietary deficiency. Which leads to my next question, what are you feeding your fish

n.hanke
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
We are feeding them beef heart, frozen marine green for discus and fortified with minerals vitamins and fatty acids, frozen blood worms, Sera flake food and the occasional brine shrimp.

boxters
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 11:56 AM
From the pic I can't be 100% sure. In my opinion we are dealing with hole in the head. Keep an eye on it I bet that whole chunk will fall out. Treat with metro in food straight away. Feed 3 times per day for 10 days.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:01 PM
Personally I think the HITH call is a little premature. Can you get more of a side on pic?

n.hanke
Thu Feb 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
She is a bit more distressed today... trying to rub herself againt things and leaving scratch marks on the side of her body. Seems like this thing is quite itchy!

Attached more photos below!

I hope I can get the right advice to rectify the situation for her!!

lpiasente
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
I don't think it is hole in the head either. Can you do a few big water changes over the next couple of days and see if that helps? I wouldn't be using metro at this stage

boxters
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 06:56 AM
i agree its just not in the right place for hole in the head. Hard to be sure with the pics, but it is definately some sort of leision or infection. I would probable add some meth blue to the tank as an anti fungal to prevent further infection, and a bit of aquarium salt

lpiasente
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
[quote="boxters"]i agree its just not in the right place for hole in the head. Hard to be sure with the pics, but it is definately some sort of leision or infection. I would probable add some meth blue to the tank as an anti fungal to prevent further infection, and a bit of aquarium salt[/quote

+1

boxters
Fri Feb 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
It has all the characteristics of hole in the head. My best guess is this fish got injured and a fungal spore in your water column has taken hold. These spores are usually found on feces in the tank and decaying food. They become free floating and attach themselves to open wounds and feed off the host. It's very rare that fish recover from this as the spores grow both inwards and outwards. I would relocate this fish to a quarantine tank for treatment

n.hanke
Fri Jul 01, 2011, 03:06 AM
Just an update.... I treated the tank with Promethyasul and she made a full recovery although she was left with quite a scar. I am thinking it might have been an Anchor worm of some sort as they tend to eat away at the muscle.

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 01, 2011, 05:20 AM
infected wound caused by physical damage, any topical antibiotic would have worked as would have salt and clean water, its worsened due to the over production of milk and slime caused by having just spawned (getting ready for fry to emerge and start feeding).