PDA

View Full Version : filter cycling question

jbickel
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 04:51 AM
Ok you have a well established tank been running for over a year, you introduce another new external filter, how long will it take to cycle that new filter and build up the beneficial bacteria?
cheers

BobbyBruce
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 05:09 AM
Hi J,

If it were me I would place some of my old media in the new filter. Replace the removed media with some of your new stuff. This would seed the new one and promote the spread of the nitrifying bacteria throughout the new media in both filters.

Remember though both filter will only operate to the capacity they need to to break down the available ammonia. Basically you are sharing the load between two colonies rather than the one.

Regards,

Bob

boxters
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 07:01 AM
after 2 weeks your new filter should have enough bacteria colonised in it. Remember that bacteria do not just sit in your sump or filter. Some break free and travel in the water column which will seed the new filter. What you can do to speed the process is take some dirty wool from your sump or filter and squeese it in the new filter and let it run on the established tank for 2 weeks. After that put it on your new tank add the fish, but still test your water daily to ensure its working

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:08 AM
IMO the amount of bacteria that travel through the water column if sweet FA. Adding mature media into the filter is certainly the most effective way.

I fail to see how you can "squeeze" the bacteria right off the media and into your new filter.

Are you just adding a second filter or replacing the old one?

boxters
Tue Feb 08, 2011, 10:12 AM
Nothing surprises me with some of the comments on here. Before making such derogatory comments maybe do the research.

jbickel
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:35 AM
eventually replace the existing filter, with a greater capacity one.

BobbyBruce
Wed Feb 09, 2011, 03:45 AM
Hi J,

I use eheim and the media I use is efi-mech and efi-substrat. If I were upgrading to a higher capacity filter I would just buy the new filter, transfer the efi-mech and substrat into the new filter and run from there. You shouldn't loose your beneficial bacteria if you just treat it the same as you would for a normal filter clean.

Regards,

Bob