PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus Forums

bui
Wed Jan 26, 2011, 05:36 AM
Hi everybody,

new to the forums and just want to introduce myself. I start out with saltwater about 8 years ago. Have it for awhile until it crash last year. Didnt want to continue with fresh do to the amount of work it take to keep it up, so I decide to start a Discus tank last summer.

Anyhow, here is my tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKu01LU54EQ

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Jan 26, 2011, 06:59 AM
Looks fantastic mate. What filtration are you running?

axl
Wed Jan 26, 2011, 09:10 AM
thats amazing how many discus have you got in there???. Thats the best tank i have seen in a while

BobbyBruce
Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hi Bui,

Thank you for the experience. Just loved it. I think I might show Erica and hope she will buy me a tank just like it.

Can I have the name of your algae eating catfish. I saw it sneaking away under one of the roots early in the video but he does and amazing job.

Are the Angels Altums or Orinoco?

Regards,

Bob

Ghoti
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 03:06 AM
In a word - WOW!!!!

What filtration are you running? That is ceratinly a well stocked tank and a credit to you.

Cheers,
Scott

bui
Sat Feb 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks everybody for the nice comments.

Been busy with work so didn't have a chance to respond to everyone comments. Here is a little info about my tank.

I have a 150G wet&Dry fill with bio balls. I use koi pond filter materials on top of the bio balls and wash it one every two or three months. I change water about once a week an about a quater to 1/3 of a tanks. My water is kept at 80 Degree. I have about 45+ discus, 15 roseline, 50 Tetra and 10 albino bristlenose plecostomus and 3 angel fish.

goodoo
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 06:46 AM
Beautifull. you dont change much water. what are your nitrates like?

boxters
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
the tank and layout are fantastic. my only concern is that the tank from a discus point of view look over stocked which in the long run can cause the fish stress and illness. As a rough guide one should allow at least 50 litres of water for each Discus. Once again very nice

bui
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:42 AM
Beautifull. you dont change much water. what are your nitrates like?

Havent test in awhile, but it was like 4 or 5 the last time I test and it was months ago.

bui
Sun Feb 20, 2011, 11:43 AM
the tank and layout are fantastic. my only concern is that the tank from a discus point of view look over stocked which in the long run can cause the fish stress and illness. As a rough guide one should allow at least 50 litres of water for each Discus. Once again very nice

they seem to do ok for the past 8 months, the only issue is someone when one fish move really quickly, it will spook out all of them. I have to watch carefully, and may have to thin out my tank if needed to.