PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Question

rburrowes
Sun Jan 23, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hey Guys,

Just a general question, I got a 2ftx18x18 tank, never had a small tank like this before and I'm not sure about the filter requirements.

I've had 2 sponge filters in the tank and found this was not cutting it so I've got a 1000lph internal filter and I'm finding its just pushing the floaties around the water instead of cleaning the tank.

Should I be looking at another filter, the aim of the tank is to eventally breed some angels.

Cheers
Rob

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 23, 2011, 07:43 AM
a sponge filter is best for breeding just dont expect it to ploish the water, internals arnt really woth the effory go a hang on or a small canister if you want super filtration

rburrowes
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 06:08 AM
Ended up getting a Eheim 2217, relising now that its a bit of overkill and its causing alot of current in the tank. Is there any way to slow down the flow rate without killing the filter.

Cheers

Rob

pfeff
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 06:26 AM
With both my CF1200 & 2217 I have the spray bars as low down the glass as the U bend piping allows & have the spray pointed back towards to top of the tank.

This allows the surface to be disturbed and help the gas exchange process while creating a very small current.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Feb 07, 2011, 06:45 AM
Pack in a heap of white filter wool. It will slow it down and polish the water.

Joining 2 spray bars together and drilling the holes out a little will also dull the flow.