PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tank Separators

rburrowes
Sat Jan 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hey Guys,

Just a quick one, I'm looking for an fish tank separator. I have to pair of koi and veiltales constantly disputing on space in there current tank, so I just purchased a 2ftx18inchx18inch and wanted to put up a separator between them.

So the question, has anyone had any experience with them and what sort did you get and where from.

Cheers

Rob

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 15, 2011, 09:30 AM
Save your money go to buntings buy some 3mm acrylic sheet and cut it to size a 2x4 foot sheet will cost $40. 10 min with a jig saw 15min with a drill and a 10-20 mm spade bit and your done. If you want to by ben at age of aquariums has some nice ones for about $40 each

rburrowes
Sun Jan 16, 2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Illusn, got in a handy man mode and did a dyi option. cost a bit more than expected but was a bit of fun.

Do I need to wash down the acrylic sheet with anything before I put it in the tank.?

swampy1972
Sun Jan 16, 2011, 10:49 PM
I'd give it a good wash with warm, soapy water then a thorough rinse. Never can be too careful since you don't know what chemicals have been in contact with them.

Old Dave
Mon Jan 17, 2011, 04:35 AM
I got some of the filters & screens from old air conditioners at the dump.
Many types & sizes are available, just need to be a bit lucky.

Ask your local aircon installer, they will probably save some for you out of recovered systems. Mine are about 18"x18" from the old wall type units.

Scrub them up good and leave them in the sun for a few days.

Works for me!
Old Dave

larishowen
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:33 PM
You should not place your bettas in this tank. Bettas best in heated water and goldfish is best in cool waters. They are too different to introduce the same water. I suggest you buy a 5 gallon tank, splitting it in half and place a beta in each section. Be sure to have a heater, if the temp folder. does not remain a place of 76 or more degrees. Your 2 bettas wilil be happy, if they do so.