PDA

View Full Version : New Project

jetson
Fri Jan 07, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi All,

I going to upgrade my substrate and plants as I am sick of the plants slowly deteriorating. I have been using a DIY Co2 system and liquid ferts and that doesnt help. I also have lighting which is about 1.5 WPG.

I have a 4ft tank with discus, neons and bristenose.

The substrate I have is some cheap and nasty stuff rocks from the LFS. The plants I have been buying are from the LFS which only last a few weeks.

The plants end up losing their leaves and never develop a root system and end up floating at the top of the tank.

I was going to start from scratch and replace the substrate. I will relocate the fish to a hospital tank whilst I complete this project.

Any ideas of what substrate I could use and also which plants I should buy??

[/u]

ILLUSN
Sat Jan 08, 2011, 03:31 AM
Eco complete is good but will buffer your ph up by about 0.5 flora base is excellent will buffer ph down by 0.5 dupla ground is good won't effect ph fluorite is ok but a bit harsh on stem plants fluorite sand is better onyx will buffer ph up by 1.0-1.5 but is excellent for plants that can use carbonate in the soil.

Your biggest problem is light aim for 2.5 to 3w per gallon and your plants will do fine 1.5w is just p***ing in the breeze if you want plants to survive go 2.5 minimum

jetson
Tue Jan 11, 2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks!