PDA

View Full Version : Blue Paint?

lamu22
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 12:25 PM
hey all,
just notcing all the tanks, have that sky blue paint, is there any reason for this? does it help breeding. is it for the babies to stop confusion? sorry bout the q's, and also were do you get this and is it toxic?

LAMU

leanne31
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 12:37 PM
Hi Lamu I dont know a lot yet about breeding but I do know that you shouldnt have anything dark in your tank as the fry might get attracted to that and not they're parents and the sky blue is pretty bright. I know you get it from bunnings as my sister just bought some for her breeding tanks. Not sure about being toxic but you paint it on the outside anyway hope this helps a little bit.

Leanne

lamu22
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 12:59 PM
thanks leanne for your reply,
"dark things", do u know if this includes driftwood aswell?, and is what brand etc of paint did she buy (obviusly not water based :P)

LAMU

leanne31
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 01:09 PM
Im not 100% sure about the drift wood going by my sisters she has nothing in her tanks at all Merrilyn would be able to probably answer that a bit better as shes a breeder. the paint i dont think was any special paint as she said she got it half price for $10 as it was a miss tint for someone else I'll ask her tomorrow the brand etc and get back to you if you want. :)
Sorry I couldnt help you any more than that.
Leanne

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 02:19 PM
Hi LAMU. The blue paint just seems to show off the discus colours beautifully. You could use light green or even mauve if you wanted. :P

Nothing looks better than a nice piece of driftwood in your display tank, with or without plants on it, but you wouldn't want to use it in your breeding tank.

Discus fry seem to be attracted to dark things, and so if the parents are the darkest thing in the tank, they will go to the parents and commence feeding, instead of hanging around another dark object, and not bond properly with the parents.

As Leanne said, you use the paint on the outside of the tank, so any type of paint would be ok. Just make sure you thoroughly clean the glass before painting.

Kaza
Fri Mar 11, 2005, 10:17 PM
I just used a aqua blue colour, it was in the miss-tint section, however make sure you roller it on, heaps easier than painting. I used a little roller, Bunnings had them for $5.95. I also did the bottom of the tanks so no reflections.

Ben
Sat Mar 12, 2005, 12:53 PM
I have 1 tank painted blue on 3 sides out of my other 10 tanks and i have not found any differnce other than the visual aspects of the fish.
It does not seem to bother them come breeding time.
cheers,
Ben