PDA

View Full Version : lip locking

tha_krust
Mon Jan 03, 2011, 12:55 PM
in my previous experiences with cichlids and other fish, it seems that it is the males that do all the lip locking. is the true also with discus? if 2 discus are lip locking wiould it be safe to assume theyre both males?????

Mr Wild
Mon Jan 03, 2011, 03:11 PM
No not as a definitive way to tell sexes. Have you seen your discus liplock? I have with my severums but they stay attached for a few seconds and make it really obvious.

tha_krust
Tue Jan 04, 2011, 04:51 AM
i just bought a new pair of "red dragons" (according to the shop) any way the biggest was confronted by the alpha male/female of the tank and they lip locked a fair bit on and of for about 30 minutes.

is there a certain way to tell without having seen one spawn?

Mr Wild
Tue Jan 04, 2011, 08:35 AM
There are very few easy identifiable identifiers in this process.

Some of the identifiers: The male will have thicker lips to aid him in his fight to protect the female, and will be more aggressive. He will be larger than the female, his forehead is thicker, and we have observed that if the discus are a bit shy, the male will have a tendency to stay between the female and the observer.

The dorsal fin of the male will be pointed, and the female's dorsal fin will be rounded. Note that in juvenile discus, this is not apparent.

The breeding tube of the female, between the anus and anal fin, is broader and rounder than the male, and will have a blunt tip. The male, in turn, has a smaller, sharper breeding tube. Be aware that this is only evident during spawning, and should be closely observed.

Sexing Discus is difficult at best. The easiest way to do so is to raise a group of at least six to eight discus, and allow them to pair off when ready. It is a beautiful sight to see this happen, and makes the hobby well worthwhile.

This information was copied from another source.

HTH

jannie_s
Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:24 AM
on the money

There are very few easy identifiable identifiers in this process.

Some of the identifiers: The male will have thicker lips to aid him in his fight to protect the female, and will be more aggressive. He will be larger than the female, his forehead is thicker, and we have observed that if the discus are a bit shy, the male will have a tendency to stay between the female and the observer.

The dorsal fin of the male will be pointed, and the female's dorsal fin will be rounded. Note that in juvenile discus, this is not apparent.

The breeding tube of the female, between the anus and anal fin, is broader and rounder than the male, and will have a blunt tip. The male, in turn, has a smaller, sharper breeding tube. Be aware that this is only evident during spawning, and should be closely observed.

Sexing Discus is difficult at best. The easiest way to do so is to raise a group of at least six to eight discus, and allow them to pair off when ready. It is a beautiful sight to see this happen, and makes the hobby well worthwhile.

This information was copied from another source.

HTH