PDA

View Full Version : BABY DISCUS DYING

nellie
Thu Dec 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hi All

I have moved my 4 week old discus turqs fry into there own tank & for the last 3 days 2-4 will die each day :(

The babies look healthy & arnt dark in colour at all but all of a sudden they just die ( i understand if they go dark in color it most likely they have gill flukes ) but they arnt dark whats so ever, they look light in colour and heathy.

I feed them crushed spectrum groth, crushed tetra bits, flake & bbs. (I soak food in water befor i feed it to them)

temp is 31
ph 7.0
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10% aged water w/c daily

They are in 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank

Can someone please help me out?

Thanks

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 31, 2010, 03:31 PM
Nellie, increase your waterchanges to 50% twice a day, scrub the sides and bottom of the tank at least daily during a waterchange and add a UV if you have one.

This die off happens fairly frequently as soon as the fry are separated from the parents, at around the four to six week mark. It even has a name - Six week syndrome - although it can happen as early as four weeks, as you have discovered.

Hygiene is terribly important at this stage. Make sure everything that goes in the tank is super clean.

multicraft
Mon Jan 03, 2011, 12:59 PM
With my (removed) young 7wks, I keep my temp 29deg and pH 6.4 and water at 100ppm, Ive had great success with this, also I have found Dried Black Worms to be a good food source.
hope this helps.
Dennis