PDA

View Full Version : the price of discus

tha_krust
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 12:24 PM
why is it ,it seems that the price of discus on the east coast is so low, and on the westcoast through the roof ?. i have never seen a proven pair go for under $500 in perth, but see them go on this forum in sydney and melb for like $200. Most flighst come direct to perth from countries where the farms are so why the price hike on the west coast??? :?:

rex82
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 12:41 PM
Not sure but I live on the east coast and I wouldn't expect to pay any less than 350 for a decent pair over here. I see alot on here and around that aren't worth the 200 they are asking. There is alot more breeders over here though so i guess that would keep the price down.

tha_krust
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 01:12 PM
hhmm..yeah i guess so. i even went to the extremes of importing 150 of my own last year because it was cheaper and easier , and could get hold of rarer strains. people over here only seem to breed Red and blue turks. i would like to breed some of the asian strains..but to find a decent pair of adult..or even to find adults at all is almost impossible. lucky the ones i imported are almost sexually mature

rex82
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
what strains are you keeping?
I breed mainly pigeons and snakeskins.

tha_krust
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:04 PM
i currently have, 1 x snow leopard, 2 x white tigers, 4x yellow diamonds (or something ..yellow body white face), 1x pigeon pearl, and 2 x "red dragons" (what they called them at the shop).

want to get some ghost's, red melons, albino blue diamond and albino alancer (?)

i was importing, ocean greens, pigeon pearls, white tiger, snow leopards, and rose reds

tha_krust
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 04:13 PM
what is the strain that star off looking like what can only be descibed as a mangoe seed. bright yellow/orange body with red fins, then gradually darken with age, theyre cool

rex82
Tue Dec 28, 2010, 10:40 PM
what is the strain that star off looking like what can only be descibed as a mangoe seed. bright yellow/orange body with red fins, then gradually darken with age, theyre cool

Hmmmm. not sure. any pics?

tha_krust
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 01:52 AM
http://discusfish.forumotion.net/

tha_krust
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 01:53 AM
http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/14/61/64/89/januar31.jpg

tha_krust
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 01:56 AM
i cant figure out how to get pictures on here, here is a link, not very good pic though. theyre about half was down the page theyre the 2 on the left

http://discusfish.forumotion.net/t21-my-fish-after-1-month

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 02:15 AM
FIXED THE PICS FOR YOU I ASSUME THESE ARE THE ONE?

rex82
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 03:12 AM
They are pigeon based. look like a standard marlboro.

tha_krust
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 03:37 AM
yep there the ones cheers. the fish on the right is a yellow diamond, but the two on the right the guy called them melons, but with so many people calling things whatever makes it a bit hard. i have seen what i would call a white face melon called so many things, red diamond , marlboro red. i wish there was a standard for people to go off before giving them what ever name they think fits best

rex82
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 04:29 AM
I dont buy into the names. There are 14 different names for one type of pigeon blood fish. IMO they are still a pigeon so thats the label i give them

jannie_s
Sun Jan 16, 2011, 12:02 AM
I think that you get what you pay for - maybe the male is sterile but be assured there must be something wrong when they get sold so cheap 200 or less, i have noticed the average prices here for a pair is around 350 i guess it will be higher if the parents have raised fry successfully but who sells them

why is it ,it seems that the price of discus on the east coast is so low, and on the westcoast through the roof ?. i have never seen a proven pair go for under $500 in perth, but see them go on this forum in sydney and melb for like $200. Most flighst come direct to perth from countries where the farms are so why the price hike on the west coast??? :?: