PDA

View Full Version : Young discus problems

flaviu.vlaicu
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 11:52 AM
Hello.I have bought 4 discus pigeon blood.Two of them have 9.5cm and the other two have 8.5cm.They are in my tank for 1 week now.When they arrived the water temperature had 18 degrees Celsius.Now,the water temperature in the tank is 31.The problem is that the breathing is a bit to fast at them and they tend to swim a bit on the side.Sometimes they stay straight and sometimes they tend to swim on a side.Aproximatly 10% on a side.Only two of them go to eat,and they eat only from the bottom.Where they were keep the tank was " bold " no substrate and plants.Here I have ADA sand,very fine and 3 anubias on some drift wood.I have very good bio filtration with external filter.The parameters in the tank are PO4 - 0,No3 - 2,GH - 5,KH - 6,PH - 7.I have aded some epson salt in the water.Do you guys suggest to put all the stuff out of the tank and leave it bold till they grow ?

PS : Sorry for the english mistakes

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 01:16 PM
You need to check your ammonia and no2 if you have levels of either then you need to start doing bigger waterchanges to. Get them down to 0. 18degrees is way too cold you could have cold shocked the fish. I'm spurred they don't have whitespot. Keep the temp up keep doing water changes with pre warmed water. stop adding Epsom salt just use normal rock salt instead

flaviu.vlaicu
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
I have seen today that two of them are " inspecting " the anubias barteri leaves and scrath on them.Is this normal ?

lpiasente
Mon Dec 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
The little ones do seem to freak out for a while. I have had some babies for 3 weeks now and one of them still does exactly what yours are doing. But they are eating. If you are trying to grow nice big discus out of these fellas then I would suggest to keep them in a bare bottom tank for ease of cleaning. I change 100% water everyday in my tank but still have to do poop partol twice a day as boy do they poop and I couldn't imagine being able to clean it properly with substrate. When doing water changes make sure the temp and the ph are the same as what their tank is. They will settle down once they get used to you and your routine. Tank temp at 28-29 is perfect for the little ones. Keep the tank lights off for a little while and just use the natural light in the room. If you can feed from both ends of the tank so the food gets spread out that might just temp the 2 non eaters to eat. It is normal for them to peck from the bottom of the tank. How many times a day are you feeding?

These cheeky little buggers will keep you worrying ;)