PDA

View Full Version : Pondmaster 36w Uv Sterilizer are they any good???

axl
Fri Dec 24, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hi,
im looking at buying a Pondmaster 36w Uv Sterilizer of a shop for $150 and want to know if there any good?? Do they leak after a while of using them?? i like the fact that you can get replacement bulbs from the electrical shop. The other option is a Jebo and they sell for $189 of this same bloke but i think they are cheaper of ebay but im not sure if there the same 1's. or not. Whats your thoughts

Cheers Axl

ILLUSN
Fri Dec 24, 2010, 10:54 AM
of the cheep brads they are by far the best, hostails are actually uv stabilized you'll get a few years from a set.

bulb is japanese, quartz sleave is good

support isn't what it use to be but mostpeolpe will have bits that fit.

jebo are no good I've used 1 24w and 3 36w i've since given them all away, seals are bad hosetails are NOT uv stabilised, transmittance wasnt great within 9 months i had diatoms growing on the quartz sleave, if algae can grow on the quartz obviously the UV is doing nothing.

If you are concidering spending money on a UV I'd suggest you look into some of the newer sterilizers that use ozone generating bulbs.

These cost more (budget $350 ish) but an 8w wil do the same as a 36w pondmaster (in uw/cm2 saving 28w/h in energy =245kw saving per year) also the bulbs last longer (14months vs 6-9months) so your running costs are lower.

m.ingram
Fri Dec 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Illusn i am looking at getting a uv in the new year. Can you tell me what are the brand name of the ones you are surggesting .

ILLUSN
Fri Dec 24, 2010, 11:33 AM
I've been reserching the aqua ultraviolet from ben at age of aquariums

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4785&catID=51

at first i was skeptical about it actually working but the manufacturer makes some very impressive industrial units for drinking water (re reclaimed from industry waste) so it's looking promising