PDA

View Full Version : Tubifex worms

mitsui
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 02:26 AM
Are they ok to feed to your discus cos I just given a big tub of em

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 04:29 AM
Are they tubifex or australian blackworms?

Tubifex are raised in the sewerage runoff from pig farms and are definitely NOT safe to feed to any fish.

Blackworms on the other hand are raised in clean conditions, constantly flushed with clean water and are very safe so long as they are fresh. Never feed dying blackworms or if the water in the tub has turned red.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 05:13 AM
FREEZE DRIED OR FRESH?

Fresh arnt the best food due to the risk of disease, freezedried is ok, nothing survives freeze drying (except viruses and spores)

mitsui
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 05:16 AM
They are fresh they came out of a worm farm. Really concerned now that I shouldn't have gave them some

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 05:33 AM
if you have then theres nothing you can do now, just dont feed anymore.

mitsui
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 05:36 AM
Oh bugger I was really hoping it would be a good live food for them as I can't get any others

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:16 AM
Stick 3 or 4 tubs of water in your back yard and within a few days you'll have all the live food you'll need, Mossy wrigglers. Discus love 'em!
MAC

Hollowman
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 11:55 AM
They are fresh they came out of a worm farm. Really concerned now that I shouldn't have gave them some

Oops!! :shock:

mitsui
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
I only put about 7 in there and the mollies ate most of them so not to worried I have removed the mollies now and put them in another tank

BettaBetta
Wed Dec 29, 2010, 09:14 PM
Tubifex worms are the host for a specific parasite that causes "Whirling Disease" which affects the fish's brain - there is no cure & it is fatal, can take out all Discus in the tank. They are commonly fed in Asia (readily available/cheap) and it is for this reason I try to only buy locally bred fish that I know have not been fed Tubifex.