PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with Eheim 2217 filters

axl
Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:27 PM
Hi,
my eheim 2217 filter is only 11 months old and i went to set it up this morning after 2 months of not using it and i have broken 1 double tap and the connector of the top of the pump. I was trying to get the hoses off and they snapped off. Im p***** off at the moment i thought it was ok to break 1 tap but when i pulled the hose off on the pump head and the connector broke that was very strange. Should this be a warranty claim and if so how do i contact eheim about this issue. Otherwise im going to be up for $50 to replace the pump cover. Not a good start to the day

Cheers Axl

taksan
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 02:13 AM
I can't see how this is possible unless you used a great deal of force. I've used literally hundreds of Eheim double tap connectors and I've never seen one break ...ever.

axl
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 02:18 AM
well you have seen it not once but twice and i did not use any force at all serious i just unscrewed the cap and went to wriggle the hoses off and snap. The worst 1 is the top off the pump head that is going to cost me $60 to replace.

m.ingram
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 05:16 AM
I too have had this happen with the double taps in the past no force at all it just seperated where the hose gets screwed onto the tap And they wherent covered in the warrenty either.

taksan
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 07:45 AM
Did you put them away wet and uncleaned ?

axl
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
yes yes yes yes maybe thats what has caused it??? it might have weakened from not cleaning it and not drying it

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 09:13 AM
Before storage I remove all hoses and seals. I coat the seals in silicone grease and store in snap lock bags. If you leave the hoses on eventually they harden and contract when this happens cut them off with a razorblade. You'll know when it happens the hose wont wiggle off and the ends will be hard to the touch(not supple) I've used 22 eheims over the years and broken 2 12/16 taps 1 12/16 quick connecter and 1 2217 pump housing. I've also broken 6 taps on 2028's. It happens live and learn mate you'll have your new pump cover on tuesday.

taksan
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 10:27 AM
yes yes yes yes maybe thats what has caused it??? it might have weakened from not cleaning it and not drying it

Yep if you stored it without disassembling it and cleaning it the hoses would tighten enough to weaken the taps significantly.

Hollowman
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 01:53 PM
If you store them assembled you are looking for trouble really. You can always supple up the hoses again by pouring very hot water over the hose ends, it softens them enough so they come off easily.