PDA

View Full Version : Hydrated Lime, a killer?

mistakes r crucial
Sat Dec 11, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hi all,

Over the last few weeks I have had the pleasure of spending quite a bit of time with an Australian manufacturer of water quality products. Over the last 32 years he has developed them for some of the largest Aquarium wholesale companies around both here and overseas and his depth of knowledge is just incredible.

A few interesting subjects came up and one especialy that I'd like to share with you as I have never seen it mentioned anywhere else at all.

Town Water and the problems associated with treating water at the plant was the subject. It's common knowledge that we sometimes get Ammonia in tap water if it's treated with Chloramine and always Chlorine which most good conditioners get rid of, either that or we age the water and burn it off, easy!

What I had never heard of before was the significance of Hydrated Lime. I'm sure we're all more than aware of the fluctuations in Town Water at different times of the year but I had no idea that Lime could be so destructive.

According to this gentleman one of the primary problems associated with town water is hydrated lime. Lime is used to buffer the pH of town water world wide and is one of the least understood toxins in the Aquarium.

Most of the below I have copied and pasted from information he gave me.

"At the plant water is treated with Hydrated Lime or Caustic Soda to raise the pH which we found to be just as toxic to Aquarium fish as treating the water with Chlorine or Chloramine, however, it would seem that this is totally unrecognized by aquarium product manufacturers around the world.

Lime can be linked to a whole range of diseases, primarily fungal infections, the most common ailment to affect ornamental fish. This toxin is removed by chelation of the Calcium molecule which allows the hydroxide ion to become water by being attracted to hydrogen in water (Lime =Calcium Hydroxide converts to Sodium)

This conversion is done with a bound phosphate, which is then left over to be used as plant fertilizer, this phosphate will not adversely affect aquarium water and is a great benefit to plants and fish.

EDTA is the most commonly used remover of toxic metals in most Aquarium Water Conditioners but unfortunately it's exhausted because it is only moderately effective with Lime.

By using a Calcium specific chelatant the EDTA is more capable of removing the metals and is more efficient at countering, Zinc, Copper
(often present in rainwater) Ferric Oxide, Aluminium, Fluoride and Iron (present in town water and bore water)."

Now I do know that the lime in town water if given to reptile and other pets exclusively will eventually kill them of kidney disease. I therefore wonder what it has been doing to our fish for the last goodness knows how many years or how many ailments our fish have had that just leave us scratching our heads?

It also begs the question why top end water conditioner companies have not recognized this since Tetra invented them many years ago. I've been given a very good answer to that question but it's not one I'm about to mention in public.

Talking to this guy made me very curious so since then I've had a real good look at many of these products and their fine print. It was a real eye opener! Claims that I had taken for granted for years are now vague at best and some of them quite misleading. Oh for the power of marketing!
Cheers
MAC

rex82
Sat Dec 11, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have been using one of Grahams products for the last few months and have been super happy with it and it is alot cheaper than using prime which is still a good product but isn't suited to our water as well as the products Graham produces IMO.

mistakes r crucial
Sat Dec 11, 2010, 11:16 PM
He's a very interesting person to speak to. As I said above, his depth of knowledge is incredible and he has to be one of the worlds authorities on water quality.

We've been talking to the shops up here on the Coast that have been using Supachlor and they swear by it, in their words, far superior to anything else on the market right now.

It's great to see an Australian product match it with the big guns, they're normally just as good but very often way too expensive but this one well and truly bucks that trend. It's about half the cost and exactly the same dosage rates so a great effort!

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 05:09 AM
That's very interesting reading MAC. I'm glad you're still researching and passing on valuable information to us.

So is Superchlor the only product on the market that removes Hydrated Lime, and is it readily available?

mistakes r crucial
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 07:28 AM
Hi Mel,

Lovely to see you, it's been a while. Yes it's readily available. Is it the only only product that will get rid of Lime, to my knowledge yes.
Cheers
MAC

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 11:36 AM
Found it, ordered it :wink:

Thanks MAC.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry Mel, I was just flying out the door when I answered you, I should have given you a link instead of you having to look for it.
MAC

rex82
Sun Dec 12, 2010, 10:27 PM
We've been talking to the shops up here on the Coast that have been using Supachlor and they swear by it, in their words, far superior to anything else on the market right now.

Second this. Awesome product :D

Mattzilla
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 07:06 AM
anyone got a link to the product?

i wouldn't mind checking it out

thanks

mistakes r crucial
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 07:12 AM
As of today Matt you can get it from us here (http://stores.ebay.com.au/macsaquariums/Aquarium-Water-Conditioners-/_i.html?_fsub=2077277017&_sid=648479457&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322)
Cheers
MAC

Mattzilla
Mon Dec 13, 2010, 10:36 AM
thanks

when my current water ager runs out i'll give it a try

matt

Mr Wild
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 06:21 AM
Matt

I am trying it out now. Not sure if you know but I had my water tested some time ago as my discus never seemed "just right" after I got over the osmotic shock issues associated with very low TDS I sent water samples to Sydney water they tested for heaps of stuff and while their report was good to get it still only reported "within normal limits for human consumption".

So when I read Graham's post and had lengthy email conversation's with him I am trying this too. For me it could be trace zinc or copper that upsets them and the price compared to Prime is fantastic!

Kath

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 07:51 AM
Where abouts on the Mid North Coast are you Kath? We lived in Forster and Diamond Beach for quite a few years.
MAC

Mr Wild
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
Wherrol Flat west from Taree about 40mins inland.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 08:59 AM
Sweet.
MAC