PDA

View Full Version : Snails in discus tank?? How to manage them?

teaio
Mon Dec 06, 2010, 05:41 AM
Hey guys..

When I got my plants for my discus tank, I didn't realize snails were in them! Lol
So is there an easy way to get rid of them. They are breeding like mad! Each water change I get about 20 that get sucked up the vac.. With out that my tank would be over run by snails. Is there a type of fish that I can keep with discus that will eat the snails lol?

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 06, 2010, 07:26 AM
Dwarf chain loach kulli loach will eat snail eggs and baby snails

teaio
Mon Dec 06, 2010, 12:37 PM
cool thank you i will get one of them! tanks

BobbyBruce
Mon Dec 06, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hi Teaio,

Just a word of caution, Loaches don't like to be lonely, suggest you get a few.

Regards,

Bob

teaio
Tue Dec 07, 2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks bob. And once the snails are gone what do they like to eat?

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:00 PM
shrimp pellets any sinking high protein food (ie discus food) will do

teaio
Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:51 PM
Oh choice! Thanks!

mistakes r crucial
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 05:54 AM
There is a block being tested right now that may kill snails but at the same time be will not harm plants or fish. Now wouldn't that be a God send!

pignoselover
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 07:57 AM
hi there an old 1 or 2 cent coin works well in an small aquarium its an old trick of the trade

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 08:01 AM
hi there an old 1 or 2 cent coin works well in an small aquarium its an old trick of the trade

Anything copper based is not a good idea. It tends to poison more than just the snails.

boxters
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 08:10 AM
sera make a very nice snail trap and its fairly inexpensive. It comes with some snail food and once they enter the trap they cant get out. All you do is remove the trap empty it out and place it back in your tank. When buying new plants its a good idea to bath them in PP to kill of snail eggs

Ghoti
Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
Must be a snail plague in Melbourne at the moment!

Daily squashing seem to have reduced mine - haven't seen one for two days fortunately.

Cheers,
Scott