PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Are Waiting (A.alacrina)

Hassles
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 11:59 AM
I have two sub-dominant female Apistogramma alacrina coloured-up and on-the-nest (to coin a phrase). I now have two strains, German bred and wild caught (currently breeding) and they are quite distinct from one another. The image below is of the German bred daddy alacrina.

Rod
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 12:58 AM
Very nice.....

but now you've started.....What's the wild caught one look like? :wink:

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 02:46 AM
More pics please. ;)

Hassles
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:56 AM
The Wild Caught varients look very different. I have managed to snatch a few images but none worthy for an upload. Some of the males lack the distinctive zig-zag markings of the specimen above.

gingerbeer01
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 12:12 AM
I remember reading somewhere that there is a belief that more than one species is involved here. I think as the fish described as Apistogramma alacrina comes from a different location to the Apistogramma "rotpunkt".

I think the females look the same but there is some differences in the male.

Personally I love the name - alacrina means "hairy armpit".

Rod
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 01:42 AM
Fishchick has them on order in the latest list........along with a lot of West Africans

EOI - Tank Bred Apistogrammas and West African Dwarf Cichlids
Aiming to get a shipment in before the end of the year.
This stock has been bred by hobbyists overseas. They are not bulk pond bred stock from an exporter. Order needs to be placed ASAP so stock can sit in quarantine at the exporters facilities before shipping out. Late requests may still arrive as the exporter is keen on some of these lines and will be purchasing as well.

The names in bold have already been put on the wish list.
If you see something else you may be interested in please let me know ASAP by EMAIL (fishchick@gmail.com)

No guarantee what has been requested will come in - but can't be had for asking!

Apistogramma agassizii
Apistogramma agassizii "Double Red"
Apistogramma agassizii "Fire Red"
Apistogramma agassizii "Gold Head"
Apistogramma agassizii "Red"
Apistogramma agassizii Rio Tefe blue
Apistogramma agassizii Rio Tefe red
Apistogramma agassizii Santarem
Apistogramma agassizii Tucurui gold line
Apistogramma alacrina
Apistogramma baenschi
Apistogramma borellii Opal
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma cacatuoides "Double Red"
Apistogramma cacatuoides "Gold"
Apistogramma cacatuoides "Gold Red"
Apistogramma cacatuoides "Orange"
Apistogramma cacatuoides "Red"
Apistogramma caetei
Apistogramma commbrae
Apistogramma cruzi
Apistogramma hoignei
Apistogramma hongsloi I
Apistogramma hongsloi II
Apistogramma hongsloi Red
Apistogramma inconspicua
Apistogramma linkei
Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma nijsseni
Apistogramma norberti
Apistogramma panduro
Apistogramma resticulosa
Apistogramma steindachneri
Apistogramma tucurui
Apistogramma viejita
Apistogramma viejita Rio Meta
Apistogramma "Algodon I"
Apistogramma "Algodon II"
Apistogramma "Angle-spot / Winkelfleck"
Apistogramma "Babyface"
Apistogramma "Breitbinden"
Apistogramma "Inka II"
Apistogramma "Oregon"
Apistogramma "Papagallo"

West African Dwarf

Pelvicachromis pulcher
Pelvicachromis pulcher Albino
Pelvicachromis pulcher Red
Pelvicachromis subocellatus Matadi
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Bandewouri
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Dehane
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Kienke
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Lobe
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Lokoundie
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Moliwe
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Nange
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigeria Green"
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigeria Red"
Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Nigeria Yellow"
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Nyete
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Ogelle
Pelvicachromis taeniatus Wouri

Have also ordered the following Angels:
Pterophyllum scalare "Californian Green"
Pterophyllum scalare Manacapuru
Pterophyllum scalare "Red Devil"
Pterophyllum scalare "Zebra Blue"

Hassles
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 10:07 AM
A couple of quick snaps - the dominant wild-caught male and the dominant female with sub-dominant male.

Its true that this specie is in existence at a number of locations and variances do exist between these so it is suggested that cross-breeding be avoided to keep the strains clean.

Hassles
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 11:45 AM
I would be keen on resticulosa. I managed to get these into the country along with my huascar but they were all destroyed in quarantine. I am also keen on norberti, breitbenden, inconspicua, commbrae, and of course the tucurui which would be a challenge and decidely satisfying should one be successful. And the winkelfleck hmm, gotta find some new tank space before the fat man comes down the chimney. The viejita is another Apistogramma I always said I was going to breed - maybe one day. The manager of my LFS has a pair in store just to tease me!!!

Silkjc
Sat Dec 04, 2010, 08:33 AM
Rather unusual, but I think in this case the female is actually a prettier fish than the male. Very jealous Hassles! :) Let us know the instant they have fry...

Hassles
Mon Dec 06, 2010, 04:22 AM
Rather unusual, but I think in this case the female is actually a prettier fish than the male. Very jealous Hassles! :) Let us know the instant they have fry...

Well the image doesn't show the male at its best. Their honey-coloured finnage and the blue sheen of their bodies makes them rather lovely to gaze upon. The other atypical apistogramma traits just adds to their appeal. In the right lighting they really are quite beautiful.

At present I have two sub-dominant females coloured-up and guarding their respective sites so news should be forthcoming.

take care

Hassles
Tue Dec 07, 2010, 09:46 AM

I can't quite recall who it was but I know it was somebody famous who said "it will come to those who wait" so...for those of you who have waited - a new brood from one of my new alacrina females :-)

What will be interesting is the expected emergence of another brood from a nearby cave any time soon. Apistogramma alacrina females reportedly have the habit of stealing fry from other spawning females. Now I ain't really concerned about this but I am decidely anxious about any conflict that will undoubtedly arise from such a scenario.

I carried these fish home on November 19th and they are in temporary quarters :roll:

Apistoguy
Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:00 AM
Well done mate, all seems to be working out nicely for you.

She is a nice looking female ,is she the wild caught ?

cheers Wayne

Hassles
Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:15 AM
Well done mate, all seems to be working out nicely for you.

She is a nice looking female ,is she the wild caught ?

cheers Wayne

yes mate she is, one of newly acquired. Note the black spot at the site of the pectoral - an atypical alacrina trait. Looks like the fat man made it down my chimney early this year heh heh heh :wink:

Hassles
Thu Dec 09, 2010, 04:44 AM
Not unexpectedly - a second female emerged with her brood this afternoon :wink: I shall try to snap a few images over the coming days as time permits.

take care