PDA

View Full Version : what type of discus do i have?

karisdiscus
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 09:58 PM
Here is a picture of a 3in discus i got. It was sold to me as a fire red but I am thinking it might be a pigeon blood. What do you think?

axl
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:04 PM
i would have left there in the shop, should have more color but its got a nice red eye i think, but hard to tell from pic

Hollowman
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:16 PM
Oh dear, you were sold a goose. Not sure exactly what it thinks it is, certainly one of those fish that should never have reached a shop, another instance of a greedy home breeder I would imagine.

Ok insults over, it is a mix of something like a pigeon of some description and a blue based fish. Very poor quality imo, mis-shaped, stunted and showing heavey peppering. The eye is a nice colour, but that is it.

I wish you had done some homework before just buying your fish. I like to think of it this way, which might help a little. If I wanted to buy a pedigree Labrador, I would go to several breeders and see the parent dogs, and look for the puppy that had the brightest eyes and was playing and was interested in people and was in best shape and condition. If I wanted the labrador, and saw these beautiful puppys, why did I end up with a mongrel with mainge, 3 legs and fleas.

On the plus side, even though it is not the best, you can give it a happy life. Plenty of water changes, good food and care and it will be fine.

My beef is with the greedy people making a few bucks out of selling fish that shoulld have been culled to people who are unaware or what they are buying.

karisdiscus
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:31 PM
I got the fish from Hans Discus. I was told he is a very good breeder and he has a web site and has been in business forever. I do think You are right. I am new at discus keeping and I do need to do a lot more homework. It is a huge learning process. I was told that it would become more red as it grows. Here is another picture it might help.

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:43 PM
Got to agree woth hollowman here. Pity I would see if you can return it.

How much did you pay for it?

karisdiscus
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:50 PM
I paid a lot. It was $89.99 US. They don't take them back :( I live in Boise Idaho USA and there is only 1 place to get discus and they order it in from hans discus. I wish i knew of a breeder that was good. Does anyone ship to the USA or know any good breeders in the USA?

Hollowman
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:02 PM
If that was from Hans, then he should know better, I would be writing to Jorge Stendker in Germany to complain about the rubbish you were sold.

Ok, you spent way to much for that. I can highly recommend Kenny Cheung, he is a personal friend, and is in my opinion one of the top people in the US for quality and customer service. His business is out of Daly City in San Francisco.

Here is a link: http://www.kennysdiscus.net/

As I said, he is a personal friend, I have been to his house and seen first hand how he does it. He will send you fish in the post with an arrive alive garrentee. He only does quality. Just call him up, he is easy to talk to, tell him that Steve.r recommended you to him. I am sure he will help point you in the right direction.

Steve

karisdiscus
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 11:10 PM
I will write to Jorge Stendker in Germany about the fish. I feel like it is part my fault because i did not know any better. I will be contacting your friend and visiting his web site. Thank You!

Mr Wild
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 01:07 AM
Also tell Hans, I am SURE he would not like his name on that fish, I suspect the lfs was the one that dudded you here, very unlike Hans to allow such a fish to get past him.

Let him know where you got it from etc: he will be hopping mad I reckon.

Hollowman
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 01:15 AM
Also tell Hans, I am SURE he would not like his name on that fish, I suspect the lfs was the one that dudded you here, very unlike Hans to allow such a fish to get past him.

Let him know where you got it from etc: he will be hopping mad I reckon.

Good idea Kath, his reputation preceeds him, I am sure Hans would not be happy

karisdiscus
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 03:21 AM
I will tell hans what store I got the fish from. I really don't want to make him mad or say bad things about him because everything I have read says he is one of the best.

karisdiscus
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 03:55 AM
Ok i emailed hans. I hope he does not get mad at me for posting where i got the fish from on the internet. I will let you know what he says

Discus-Hans
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 05:04 AM
Kari, I don't get mad at you, don't worry lol

And you don't have to tell them what I said........here I'm lol lol

We can't check every store what they sell and how, or in what condition.

I had stores not buying from me for over 3 years, still had the poster and selling all kind of Discus as being from us. Heck I found stores, never bought from me and selling their Discus as ours, things we can't control.

Now Fish Aquariums and Stuff in Boise ID is buying Discus from me, I don't know when you bought your Discus but on 04/26/2010 they got 1 Fire Red 3" shipped and on 09/23/2010 they had 2 Fire Reds 4" shipped (more Discus but I name the Fire Red)

Oepss just see in your email you bought it 2.5 weeks ago as you can see in what I shipped to the store, this is not a Fire Red.

Here's the deal:
Keep the little guy/girl in your care, give it a good home, it will not grow out in a beautiful show Discus but with some TLC still could be a nice Discus. If you think you're ready to put more Discus in your tank, let me know, I give you a free 3" Fire Red with your (maybe) order,

Hope this helps,

Hans
Discus Hans USA
www.discusfishstore.com

Discus-Hans
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 05:26 AM
If that was from Hans, then he should know better, I would be writing to Jorge Stendker in Germany to complain about the rubbish you were sold.

Ok, you spent way to much for that. I can highly recommend Kenny Cheung, he is a personal friend, and is in my opinion one of the top people in the US for quality and customer service. His business is out of Daly City in San Francisco.

Here is a link: http://www.kennysdiscus.net/

As I said, he is a personal friend, I have been to his house and seen first hand how he does it. He will send you fish in the post with an arrive alive garrentee. He only does quality. Just call him up, he is easy to talk to, tell him that Steve.r recommended you to him. I am sure he will help point you in the right direction.

Steve

Wauwww Steve you're a real drama queen ain't you?? lol lol lol

Writing an email to Jorg (if that makes you happy go ahead) but that is almost the same as like writing to the BMW in Germany because you bought a Toyota from somebody on the street corner and because this guy put a sticker over the Toyota emblem of a BMW, you thought you bought a BMW lol lol lol

Kenny is by the way a great guy, good Discus and a very good friend,

Hans
Discus Hans USA
www.discusfishstore.com

m.ingram
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 05:53 AM
Kari i would take Hans up on his offer. Also when you are ready to buy more discus get them directly off of Hans as he gets some of the nicest discus you will see and he ships them out to you.If i lived in the states Hans would be one of the first importers i would buy from .

Hollowman
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 06:32 AM
Hi Hans,

Not a drama queen at all, like I said, IF it had come from you :roll: I know you have a reputaion for good fish, I never denied that, and I know that this has happened before where people sell crap fish under your name. THAT is what concerns me.

Nice for you to make a presence here by the way, give my regards to Kenny next time you meet.

:)

Discus-Hans
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:04 AM
Kari i would take Hans up on his offer. Also when you are ready to buy more discus get them directly off of Hans as he gets some of the nicest discus you will see and he ships them out to you.If i lived in the states Hans would be one of the first importers i would buy from .

Thanks Brother, and when do you move here????? lol lol

Hi Hans,
Not a drama queen at all, like I said, IF it had come from you :roll: I know you have a reputation for good fish, I never denied that, and I know that this has happened before where people sell crap fish under your name. THAT is what concerns me.

Nice for you to make a presence here by the way, give my regards to Kenny next time you meet.
:)

I was just kidding you Steve and you know that lol lol

You know.... one day..... when I grow up and will be big and strong. I want to have the right people on the right place and I go visit all the stores over the USA (read check them out)

I know there are stores out there, buy 2 boxes a year, stay on the dealer list and sell in between...............I don't know what.

Kenny & I never met in person, we talk on the phone, will tell him HI when I talk to him again,

Hans
www.discusfishstore.com

Hollowman
Tue Nov 30, 2010, 07:45 AM
Good to have you here Hans,

I hope you stick around a while, it would be nice to have your knowledge here on this site. Specially since we have a member bringing in Stendkers in Aus now. Maybe you can give an insight into how Jorge and you operate and your water conditions :) Certainly a big difference to how the Asian market does it.

Steve

Discus-Hans
Wed Dec 01, 2010, 01:53 AM
Good to have you here Hans,

I hope you stick around a while, it would be nice to have your knowledge here on this site. Specially since we have a member bringing in Stendkers in Aus now. Maybe you can give an insight into how Jorge and you operate and your water conditions :) Certainly a big difference to how the Asian market does it.

Steve

My friend, if time permits me, I will try to jump in here and there.

But time is my biggest enemy at the moment,

Hans

karisdiscus
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 03:17 AM
Hans I think I will take you up on that deal. Now I know to get them directly from you. I will let you know when I am ready to order. Is it to cold to order? Thank You!

Discus-Hans
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 03:30 AM
Hans I think I will take you up on that deal. Now I know to get them directly from you. I will let you know when I am ready to order. Is it to cold to order? Thank You!

ha ha ha Kari,

shipping Discus is my job, when we had 3' snow in Baltimore I shipped a box to Alaska, box arrived warm (heat packs),

Hans

Hollowman
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 08:43 AM
Hans is well equiped to cope with the cold weather, he would put heat packs around the box to keep the fish near to normal temps while in transit. As long as the carriers do their job and get them to you on time, you will have no problems

Merrilyn
Sat Dec 04, 2010, 08:28 AM
A very big welcome to you Hans. So pleased you dropped in here and what a wonderful and very generous offer you have made to karidiscus.

I know your time is limited, but we would welcome any comments whenever you have a moment to spare.

karisdiscus
Wed Dec 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
I got 4 new discus from hans last wed 12/15. They are just beautiful!! I got a fire red, pigeon blood blue, snake skin X flachen, and a brilliant turq. Thanks again Hans for everything I love them :)

lpiasente
Thu Dec 23, 2010, 10:04 AM
stop teasing we need pics :)

Hollowman
Thu Dec 23, 2010, 11:31 AM
stop teasing we need pics :) +1 Come on post up :D

karisdiscus
Thu Dec 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
I will post some as soon as I get good pics. these little guys dont hold still i think they are scared of the camera :)

karisdiscus
Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:18 AM
Here are some pics of the new discus I got from Hans. I love them... Sorry they are not the best pics they wont hold still. lol... I got a fire red, pigeon blood blue, snake skin X flachen, and a brilliant turq. The other 2 I already had. They are still small the fire red is 3.5 or 4in and the others are about 2.5 or 3 in. so they are not fully colored out yet.

karisdiscus
Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:23 AM
Here are some more pics

karisdiscus
Wed Jan 05, 2011, 07:28 AM
more pics

lpiasente
Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:10 PM
you take worse pics than me . hahaha

karisdiscus
Wed Jan 05, 2011, 10:43 PM
They would not hold still. I think they are scared of the camera :) I tired and tried to get a good pic lol... I just wanted to get something posted.

lpiasente
Thu Jan 06, 2011, 08:01 AM
They are hard to take pics of. I see what some people come up with in pics and I am green with envy.

Discus-Hans
Thu Jan 06, 2011, 01:25 PM
Here are some pics of the new discus I got from Hans. I love them... Sorry they are not the best pics they wont hold still. lol... I got a fire red, pigeon blood blue, snake skin X flachen, and a brilliant turq. The other 2 I already had. They are still small the fire red is 3.5 or 4in and the others are about 2.5 or 3 in. so they are not fully colored out yet.

Glad to see all goes well Kari.

The most important, it's a good picture of the box lol lol lol

Hans

lpiasente
Thu Jan 06, 2011, 09:48 PM
Great picture of the box haha

Discus-Hans
Fri Jan 07, 2011, 02:22 AM
Just noticed, makes me feel young again lol lol

Discus-Hans
Wriggler

Hans