PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Question

rphox2003
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm converting my 1 meter Anubias tank to discus and want to know how many of each of the following I can keep:
Discus
Blue Rams
Neon Tetras

The tank is 100cm x 43 x 53 - about 200 liters.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hollowman
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 08:07 PM
The rule of thumb is 1 adult discus per 40-50 litres of water. In a tank that size I would only put in one matched pair of discus, and some of the others smaller fish.

hth

karisdiscus
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 08:12 PM
200L is about 53 gallons. Everything I read said that discus needs a min of 5 gal per discus fish its best if its 10 gal per discus. I do not recommend neon tetras because they are smaller and when discus get bigger they can eat them. I would use cardinal tetras they look like neons except the bottom red line is the length of the whole body and they get a little larger than neons. With Cardinals they say 1inch of fish to 1 gallon of water same with the rams. So really it just depends on how many discus you want, to how many of the other fish you can have. Discus and cardinals are schooling fish so you need a min of 3+ of each. 1 liter = 0.26417205236 Gallons (US). Hope that helps a little :)

lpiasente
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 09:45 PM
discus in a group of 3 is not a good thing, 2 will gang up on the other one and it isn't plesant at all.

Hollowman
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 09:59 PM
200L is about 53 gallons. Everything I read said that discus needs a min of 5 gal per discus fish its best if its 10 gal per discus. I do not recommend neon tetras because they are smaller and when discus get bigger they can eat them. I would use cardinal tetras they look like neons except the bottom red line is the length of the whole body and they get a little larger than neons. With Cardinals they say 1inch of fish to 1 gallon of water same with the rams. So really it just depends on how many discus you want, to how many of the other fish you can have. Discus and cardinals are schooling fish so you need a min of 3+ of each. 1 liter = 0.26417205236 Gallons (US). Hope that helps a little :)

Hmm.... not really that much help, and confusing to me.
I would go with the 40-50 litres per adult fish imo. 3 of any type of fish is never a good number, any fish keeper will tell you that. Specially when discus are involved. Yes, discus are shoaling fish, but if you get 3, you will end up with 2 very quickly. Small or juvenile discus can be put in there, (5 or 6) but they will grow quickly, and outgrow your tank, that is why I suggested a matched pair of adults for you. (depending on your experience level)

Any tetras are good with discus same for Rams also. Just because neons are small does not mean they becaome instant snacks. I have kept them together for years with no problems. Remember that any weak fish is going to become a target in the food chain. Good quality fish with good feeding and care will not look for snacks like neons.

rphox2003
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 04:37 PM
Any tetras are good with discus same for Rams also.

So if I get 5-6 juvies, how many Rams can I get? Plus, does it make a difference with species I put in first?
Some sites also say Cory Cats are suitable. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for all the help.

karisdiscus
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have cory cats in with my discus and they all get along great! Plus they help clean up extra food

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 02, 2010, 10:43 PM
Sugested stocking levels are a minimum of 10gal (40L)/ adult fish 50l per fish is better. Juvies you can stock a little more hevily as steve said a matched pair would be best this would still give you 100L of volume for your other fish (rams need ~ 20L/fish tetras 2-5L/fish corys 3-5L/fish).

rams get teritorial and WILL KILL EACH OTHER when spawning, so 1 pair of rams MAX this still leaves you room for some corys for clean up.

neons dont like heat (28C-30C is a good temp for a discus tank) so concider rummy nose tetras, cardinal tetras, glowlight tetras instead.