PDA

View Full Version : What type of fish to use when cycling a 450ltr tank???

axl
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 05:47 AM
Hi,
im looking to cycle my 450ltr tank with tropicla fish and want to know how many will I need and what sort of fish is best to use ??? Im going to leave them in there for a month so the tank will be ready for discus. Would 6 be enough????

Cheers Axl

goodoo
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:18 AM
Use ammonia . If I ever start from scratch again I would do it the right way. You could be bringing hitchhikers in with the tropica fish ? :D

mumafish
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 07:53 AM
The days of using fish to cycle a tank are giving way to more humane methods.

Allthough the fish will probably survive the different phases of the cycle the damage done to gills trying to process amonia is long lasting.

I'm cycling a tank at the moment and I'm unable to find clear amonia to cycle my tank. It's been taken off the market as it's used to make bombs.

Have gone back to the old method of using a handfull of substrate or filter material from an established tank. This along with plants will give the end results.

Feed the tank as if it has fish and the bacteria will work on the filter. Keep records of the water parameters and you will have a healthy cycled tank.

axl
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 08:06 AM
i cant find ammonia anywhere and if someone knows where to find some that would be great. I wont be able to use anyones existing media or substrate as I live in a small country town and the lfs hardly knows what a cannister filters is. Any ideas would be appreciated and i might have to use prawns to create the ammonia in the tank.

m.ingram
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
Go to Malons discus he is a sponsor of this site he sell it he will post it out to you .

Hollowman
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 09:55 AM
A fishless cycle is the way to go these days, dont use poor fish to do it. If you cannot find pure ammonia, then many people throw in a raw prawn and let it rot to produce the ammonia, a bit smellier than ammonia, but just as effective.
Do a search, there are lots of posts on fishless cycling, and remember that you have to monitor your levels, and it will take between 6 to 8 weeks.

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 10:51 AM
Generally i use media from an established filter to start my cycle, I add about 20%-25% "seasoned" media to 75%- 80% new media (just swap some out).

The media is added once the tank is up to temp. After its been running for a 3-5 days I'll add some bristlenoses to complete the cycle, I've never had an ammonia or nitrite spike but within 3 days of adding the BN's my nitrates are at 10-30ppm and i know the tank is ready. I've had peppermints spawn after adding them to a new tank (think of it as a 100% waterchange and upgrade of living quarters).

if you cant find any seasoned media use a raw prawn or 2.

kerryhomes
Wed Apr 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
AS far as I am concerned that on my analysis of the fishes and the different types of tanks i would like to say that the tropical fishes are to be the good option to be cycle while using 450 l tr tank .Any ideas would be appreciated and i might have to know a deep knowldege about the fishes .

swifto
Wed Apr 20, 2011, 09:40 PM
go to your lfs and ask if they can get it 4 u.just explain u want to cycle a new tank if says no go to another shop .