PDA

View Full Version : How long do wild discus live for ? Dinner plates how old ?

goodoo
Sat Nov 27, 2010, 07:15 AM
How long do they live for in the wild and how long does it take the monsters to reach that size in the wild or domestically speaking. I know big bream can be 25 yrs old and murry cod live for 60 or more.

taksan
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 12:34 AM
In the wild ... 5-6 years would be a old fish in a tank 7-10 years is possible.

goodoo
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 01:25 AM
Really? I thought they would live longer in the wild. Well a small percentage anyway. The ones that dont get eaten by big bad fish. Thanks taksan :D

Hollowman
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 10:09 AM
My oldest was 12+

goodoo
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 11:38 AM
how long do you think they live for in the wild I reckon some monsters could do 25. and hollowman Im impressed I hope Mani my turq lives that long. Do you still have that beatifull leopard avatar still ?

Hollowman
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
how long do you think they live for in the wild I reckon some monsters could do 25. and hollowman Im impressed I hope Mani my turq lives that long. Do you still have that beatifull leopard avatar still ?

No, he went about 2 years ago. No explaination to the death, fine one day, dead the next. The one that was 12+ was not all my work, I had him for a few years, but again sadly if died. There are some pics of the Penang Eruption here somewhere, I'll try to locate a few links

Hollowman
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 03:09 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16123

goodoo
Sun Nov 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
no photos show up in that link. Hey I got 3 jeffery yang fish. Im getting some more in the next few weeks, after i set up my new tank. Ones a RSG monster that rod lewis picked for me. :D :D :D

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:33 AM
Got a pigion that lived for over 14years, by the end it justt seemed to stop regenerating finns and gils it died slowly over 3 months dont know its exact age didn't look too fantastic at the end, i have a blue turk now thats well over 10years old most likely close to 12, still looks great but you can tell its an old fish.

I'd guess a wild with superior genetics could live for 10-15years with propper care, the hard part is knowing how old they are when you get them.

taksan
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 01:24 AM
I very much doubt there would be a Discus swimming in the wild older then 5-6 years .... everything over there that's not huge gets eaten.